We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Best Fare Guarantee

Post Falls
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delta Best Fare Guarantee

Just wanted to warn people not to waste your time with Delta's "Best Fare Guarantee" that they supposedly offer. I went through all the steps, had a perfectly valid claim, on the same day, and was denied. This was their response:

"Your reservation is booked in ?V? and ?T? classes of service. At the

time of our research at www.priceline.com, we were able to locate a

lower fare of $(edited) per passenger. However, the classes of service

were ?V? and ?T.? therefore, we must respectfully decline your request."

I politely asked that they re-consider, sent a screenshot from Priceline's website and even offered to help them find it (because it's still there and very easy to locate) when I was given another copy and pasted response telling me to read their terms and conditions. I've read them several times.

Dear Delta, please just remove the program all together if you don't want to honor it! No one is making you have this program! Don't waste our time!

Has anyone ever gotten one of these approved? Now that I'm researching it, I've yet to come across anyone who has been approved. I'll definitely be looking at other options next time I fly, not because of the lack of a price match, but because of the awful customer service I have received. Imagine if something really went wrong and you needed something!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,116 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

I don't understand. Were the lower fares in the same class of service, or not?

Edited: 7:50 pm, May 07, 2014
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

I don't understand either.....

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

I really can't tell from your post, but the fares must match exactly. Not just the T or V but all the letters after that making up the fare code. Whether your fare matched or not, I have no idea. Also, PL sells a lot of consolidator fares, and DL will not price match those.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,040 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

>>>Dear Delta, please just remove the program all together if you don't want to honor it! No one is making you have this program! Don't waste our time!

Dear OP perhaps you too are confused. this is tripadvisor and not delta. Please contact delta if you wish to communicate with them and do not waste our time with a post which as the previous posters said -- made no sense at all. Just because they denied your request makes it bad customer service. Humm

Edited: 8:02 pm, May 07, 2014
Post Falls
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

You obviously cared enough to respond...

Yes, I'm aware this isn't Delta, but I'm also aware that they don't respond when you message them directly. I guess my hope is if enough people will get post their experience online that they will either honor the program, or simply remove it. But you know what? You've got a valid point, if they don't respond to direct feedback I don't know why they would care about threads on other sites. Point taken.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

You said they did respond and declined your request, so what is the non-response issue?

If the fare you saw on Priceline was not in the same class as the one you booked on Delta, the guarantee does not apply. It only applies if the fare is in the exact same class and under the same conditions (date, number of seats, etc).

Edited: 12:03 am, May 08, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

"Also, PL sells a lot of consolidator fares, and DL will not price match those."

And I'm pretty sure maried11 has the right answer.

The confusing thing is that consolidator tickets sold by Delta (and United do this too) to the travel agent (at a rock bottom fare which is then uplifted by the agent) carry the same fare basis codes as standard published fares. This has also hit frequent fliers who get a lower mileage accrual for consolidator tickets, and zero MQDs (the new revenue spend requirement for elite status).

So I do have some empathy with the OP as the same fare basis would lead you to think that they're both published fares eligible for a "price guarantee" which they aren't.

But the long and the short is that if you buy a consolidator ticket with a T code from an agent such as Priceline then Delta is not going to refund you any difference with a published T fare on its site, because they'd be making a loss.

Annoying and confusing I agree.

edit - there's a thread over on FlyerTalk on this subject re United. A lot of business travelers have discovered that their company agent has been dealing in consolidator tickets and so they're getting no PQDs towards their revenue requirement for elite status. Fortunately my company agent doesn't deal with consolidator tickets so I'm okay.

Edited: 12:34 am, May 08, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

USB: For our corporate clients, we don't deal with consolidators. They want to accrue miles, they change often and the rules are much more restrictive for consolidator fares. For vacation travelers who don't care about miles and aren't likely to change (and if they do they have insurance for sickness, etc.) they are a great bargain.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,434 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

Maried11,

Good for you. I'd happily recommend you to my company for a contract. :-)

That's what my agent does too. But the FT thread indicated that some (well known) corporate travel agents were using consolidator tix for business clients. And it looks as though that was part of the corporate contract with the company/employer.

It didn't previously matter as the miles accrual for each fare bucket was the same as for published fares. It's only come to light recently where DL cut the EQM accrual for those, and both DL and UA give no MQD/PQD on those fares.

The problem is that many people don't know that a T fare (or even a Y, J or C) may not be at a published fare. They only find out later as the OP has done. I'm not sure why consolidator/bulk tix carry the same fare code but that's for an offline discussion.

Edited: 12:50 am, May 08, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta Best Fare Guarantee

Agents also get perks from certain consolidators for using them and the money is much better as you know since you can mark them up and not just charge a ticketing fee. I find it's not worth any of that for the hassle or the grief when they want to change, etc. Then there are the change fees that the consolidators charge on top of the airline's fees, even if they are full Y or J:(

Glad your agent does that as well:)