We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
78 reviews
Save Topic
Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

planning trip to France this summer. Open Skies has a good deal to Only Airport. Does anyone have any experience with this airline? Thank you.

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

Here you go...

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/openskies.htm

NY
Level Contributor
248 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

Also thinking about using Open Skies in September. Chiefly because they offer non-stop from Newark to Paris, Orly. Flight searches bring up flights on British Airways (operating as Open Skies) so it's a bit confusing (deceiving?) Open Skies gets mixed reviews but my biggest concern is that they own 3 planes. If a flight is cancelled will I get reticketed on a BA flight or have to wait for a next day Open Skies flight?

Anyone know the answer to that?

I can deal with "older" planes and possible mediocre service but I don't want to get stuck at Newark for an extra day or two.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
647 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

I flew Open Skies a few years ago. Yes they have like here planes and they are tres old. But they are maintained. I was in their premium economy. Food was better that an economy meal, but the FA disappear right after meal service. I don't know how much of a stake BA has in them I and I have heard that is a flight is cancelled, you have to wait for the next one as the BA flights are not an option.

Wilmington...
Level Contributor
146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

It's a tough decision. I considered flying with them for September flights, esp when premium economy was on sale.( I don't know if it still is on sale, two weeks ago the fare for r/t, direct JFK to ORY was $1,295.00) I was very tempted, the seat comfort and extra room sound great, & I don't care too much about in flight service. I checked out their cancellation rate from JFK and it was (I believe) eight percent chance of cancellation, which was higher than the three percent average (at least I think 3% is the average, depends on the airlines, of course.)

Could fly direct from Philly for $1,200, but we ended up opting for Icelandair with stopover in Reyjkavik, not only because of the stopover but because I was concerned that the Open Skies flight might get cancelled with little advance notice. If i was flying alone I could chip on it and hang out, make other arrangements, etc. but there are three of us and I didn't want to risk it.

I could not find any recent reviews, which was frustrating. Surely someone has flown with them since November, 2013 but that was about the latest I could locate (trust me, I hunted!) If you fly with them, please post a review--I will consider them again if I were to fly alone to Paris in the future.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
52 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

I love Open Skies and always fly them from NY to Orly. Premium Plus is way more comfortable than equivalent on Air France. Smaller planes mean faster on/off. And Orly is much better option for arrival--faster clearance and cheaper fares to elsewhere in Europe.

6. Re: Open Skies. owned by. British Airways. good choice ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 29, 2015