We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

Denver
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

Well our plan this year is to spend Christmas with my wife's family in the Czech Republic. We visit every couple of years or so but usually in spring when rates are low. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for getting a decent fare at Christmas coming from Denver, going to Prague. We are looking at just about $3k at this point and that is way high. We've never paid more than $2200 for the two of us. Lufthansa and British Airways both go direct from Denver but the price is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Also I try to get 1 stop flights as 2 stops are just too long and tiring.

Thanks for any input. I think I will have to bite the bullet but thought I'd ask the community first.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,892 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

Yah, that's pretty much what it costs. Use Kayak or other web-based trending service but doubt you'll find anything under $1,400 a ticket. Here's a wild card solution, though. You now have Icelandair in Denver. That won't get you to Prague but it would get you to Munich for a fair amount less and you can drive it in less than four hours. Worth checking.

Good luck.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

Three thousand dollars seems exceptionally expensive to me, even for Christmas holiday flights. Using the itamatrix supplied to you by Hans_DEN I see many flights under $1400 for departure dates between Dec. 17 through Dec. 21.

I wonder if you are searching for economy fares or some type of upgrade. We fly to Istanbul at least once a year, and for the last four years we have not paid more than $600 for seats in Economy Comfort. Unfortunately, in order to obtain these exceptionally low fares I have had to give up my non-stop flights. It is absolutely impossible for me to find non-stop flights at any reasonable price. I used to be able to fly Delta non-stop between JFK and IST and return to JFK on non-stop flights. Of course there is not direct flight from my home airport in Orlando, so we do always have to change planes in NYC or occasionally Chicago.

This daily flight is no longer available during the times of the year when we travel, and we are left with no option than to select a flight with a stop.

We change planes in NYC or Chicago and then we generally change again in Amsterdam. It makes a long flight, but we can endure a bit of discomfort in exchange for a couple of thousand dollars each. I look at it like this. If someone said to me that they would give me $2000 if I would agree to sit in a small space for 18 hours, getting up only occasionally to walk and use the restroom. I would be free to read, sleep, watch TV and play with all of my electronic gadgets. I could take snacks, and I would receive meals that would generally be adequate. This period of time would b broken by visits through exciting airports where I would have a few minutes to eat a meal or purchase some exotic gift for my grandchildren. I could certainly enjoy the peace and quiet of being away from all the stresses of my daily life.

I would certainly agree to this offer, and I would feel that it would be the easiest $2000 I had ever earned. Opting for a less expensive flight that is not direct is, for me, the same thing as someone putting $4000 in my checking account.

My husband and I are both nearly 70 years old, and we have some serious chronic health problems, but we plan our trips carefully. We arrive at our departure airport relaxed, but excited for our adventure. We almost always spend the night before our departure in the Hyatt Hotel in the Orlando airport. We have a leisurely meal early in the evening, and get to bed early so we are rested and ready for our flight.

We take the first day at our destination with very minimal activity, but on the second day we are ready to go. Even at my age, and even though I am staying in a city where I have spent hundreds of days I still find that the adrenaline is more than adequate to compensate for a bit of jet lag.

Of course, everyone has different levels of tolerance, and you may, in fact, not be able to physically manage a flight that is not non-stop. For us, however, a day of mild discomfort is well worth the savings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

I don't know your exact dates, but you could look at flying someplace else ie London or Brussels and then getting a cheap flight out to Prague if you give yourself enough time in between stops.

Denver
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

Thanks all for the replies. I will continue my search but I think to get what I want is to either pay or take the multi transfer. The multi's are not actually that much cheaper so not sure if it is worth it. I did look at iceland air and we are looking into bus or train from Munich. Thanks agian for the input.

6. Re: Christmas in Prague, airfare advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 02, 2015