We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me if I am entitled to any compensation for a United Airlines flight cancellation due to a mechanical problem from Chicago and London Heathrow.

If I am entitled to compensation what would this be?

My flight originated from London to Chicago and on the return flight from Chicago to London the flight was cancelled.

I Live in the UK should the compensation be in US dollars or UK pounds?

Am I entitled to claim under the EU 261 regulation, is there a similar regulation in the US, if so what.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,212 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

"Am I entitled to claim under the EU 261 regulation, is there a similar regulation in the US, if so what."

EU 261 doesn't apply as UA are not an EU carrier and Chicago is not an EU airport - as far as I'm aware there is no regulation in the US similar to EU 261 and any entitlement to compensation will be set out in UA's Conditions.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

No statutory compensation due under EU261/2004 as UA is not an EU carrier and the flight was into the EU and not from the EU, your might get a voucher for say $200 from UA normally valid for 12 months against any future UA flights but that's about it

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

As far as I can tell there are 3 daily flights non stop from ORD-LHR none of which are more than 3hrs apart so assuming you were travelling on one of the earlier flights and were put on the next flight your delay will be less than 4hrs so even if UA had been an EU carrier your compensation for a Type 3 flight will be zip!!! very much doubt UA will even offer a voucher

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,758 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

HI,

UA's rules here are pretty tightly laid out under their Contract of Carriage, Rule 24, titled "FLIGHT DELAYS/CANCELLATIONS/AIRCRAFT CHANGES"

Within this rule, Section E(2) speaks to your four (4) possible remedies.. Essentially they are:

I) re-booking on another UA flight that has space for you, and in the same class as your ticket,

II) will transfer the ticket to another carrier who will accept it, for travel on a different airline but in the same class (so long as the delay exceeds 2 hrs).

III) refund of the unflown sectors or

IV) if you're on a premium class ticket and travel in a downgraded cabin - a refund of the fare differential.

Section F(1) does also provide for either a airline-paid lodging OR an allowance for one night stay IF the cancellation occurs between 22:00 and 06:00 and is expected to last for more than four (4) hours.

Sections F(2) and F(3) also speak to meal/drink allowances and ground transport to the lodging mentioned in F(1)

That's about it. There is no Federal law or regulation that requires a carrier in this kind of matter, to go beyond this in terms of either accommodation and/or compensatory matters.

UA CoC:

united.com/web/…Contract_of_Carriage.pdf

Travel Safe,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

>>If I am entitled to compensation what would this be? I Live in the UK should the compensation be in US dollars or UK pounds?<<

Bit of a leap there ,,,from " am i " to " what currency" .

How long were you actually delayed for and when were you notified of cancellation and when did you fly out instead?

You could ask for a goodwill gesture if it was something serious, major delay and you had to get a hotel room and they did not provide duty of care etc, but if you were just rebooked onto the next flight or had a minor two or three hour delay and did not really suffer any hardship then you are not due anything.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

Yes, you are entitled to be placed on the next UA flight to LHR that has an available seat. And, I assume that's what happened, though you provide no details. That's it.

Edited: 12:44 pm, April 29, 2014
7. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, May 15, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,994 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

Stop spamming with that site already. The OP has been given the correct answer anyway.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

<< The best advice that I could give to you is to check if your flight is eligible for claimining (http://www.refund.me/).>>

OP does not even have to do that as it is very clear that EU compensation does not apply (non-EU airline departing from outside the EU)

I assume in your case that you were either booked on an EU airline and/or your delayed/cancelled flight was departing from the EU

10. Re: United Airlines Cancelled flight from Chicago to London UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, May 17, 2015