We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

Washington DC...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

Sorry for what is probably a duplicate, but I have been researching travel insurance and find it confusing. I am planning a trip to Turkey and ideally Egypt at the end of November. Given the fluidity of the situation, there's every likelihood that I may have to eliminate the Egypt leg--including on very short notice. I want to book US-->CAI (via IST)-->IST-->US as a multileg since it is much cheaper than RT US-->IST and RT IST-->CAI. I know there is cancel for any reason insurance, but I likely wouldn't want to cancel the entire trip, just the Cairo portion. Is there "alter for any reason" insurance such that I could eliminate the Cairo leg of the trip/change my itinerary to be RT US/IST that will cover the change fee and fare difference? In a perfect world, I just wouldn't board the plane for Cairo and that would be that, but since I don't want to invalidate my entire ticket, that doesn't seem like the best approach. Does this sort of policy exist? I see a lot about change fees for altering dates, but nothing about futzing with an itinerary and destinations with the same dates.

Madeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
Level Contributor
9,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

Not sure about Insurance but even if there is, your plan to not get on that part of the itinery could jeopardise the rest of the trip unless the Authorities recommend no-one travels to that area and your insurance would be invalid anyway. I could be wrong but that is how I see it, other posters may be better informed.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

Not that I am aware of. Also, Cancel for Any Reason, usually does not reimburse you for the entire cost; it's usually around 75% and there are restrictions as to when you can cancel (as in it must be a certain number of days before your trip commences). Is it possible to just book your ticket, leaving Egypt off, and if you decide to go, just purchase a ticket later for that leg?

You might want to call a company such as Travelguard and speak with them about this.

Edited: 1:23 pm, April 28, 2014
Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

Probably no ins policy available for this question. Probably next best thing is flexible fares

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

I think in Canada if our gov't posts a do not travel warning on a country then you are covered for a cancellation/change. Not sure if it is the same for the US.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

I think the airlines would allow you to change or cancel your itinerary if there was a do not travel warning or insurance would cover you, but I don't know of any kind that you are talking about. Reason being is that the price of the itinerary would be different if you do something different, so if it was more money, they aren't going to let you change and not pay more. They would let you get a refund for the trip and then book it as you need, but at the current price.

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

Numerous travel executors are not completely proficient regarding comprehension the subtle elements of different travel protection strategies and may disregard something that could be paramount to you or your family and few offer proposals. Purchasing travel protection may be less exorbitant obtaining through your tour admin or journey line.

7. Re: Travel insurance to cover itinerary change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2015