We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plane refit question

Kingaroy, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Plane refit question

Hi,

We are flying back to Australia end of May leaving from San Francisco on Air new Zealand on one of there 747-400s.

My question is does anyone know if this plane has been refitted.And if so what sort of seats are now available?

We are booked on premium economy.

Cheers

1. Re: Plane refit question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:56 am, June 29, 2014
Edited: 5:56 am, June 29, 2014
2. Re: Plane refit question

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:56 am, June 29, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plane refit question

My wife and I flew ANZ from Auckland to SF and the end of last year and found the 747-400 Premium Economy cabin (upstairs) really good. The food was OK and the service and wines were fantastic.

The cabin layout was a little cramped but the front row has HEAPS of room - check Seat Guru.

We flew Business Class Emirates from Melbourne because there is no ANZ Premium Economy between Melbourne and Auckland and ANZ wouldn't book us through in Business on that leg

A really enjoyable experience only spoilt by petty rules of ANZ and the Waiting area at Auckland which leaves a lot to be desired!

You will not have automatic access to the Business Lounge at Auckland, so pay the extra few bucks to get into the Business Lounge if you're going to be in transit more than an hour or so.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plane refit question

Hi Craig M

Unfortunately you won't be seeing any refits of AirNZ's 747-400s. Those beautiful big birds are going to be retired from the fleet in the not too distant future. They'll be replaced by more fuel efficient planes. A pity in my view.

But I'm sure you won't be disappointed in the PE cabins. As Frodo says the upstairs cabin is good, although the front of it is taken up by Business Premier. There's a choice of 2 or 3 seats across. Some of the downstairs PE seating is also good with two across but the middle of the plane is taken up by the staircase to upstairs. But we liked it.

Have you looked at the seating plans yet? It would pay to get your seats selected asap.

5. Re: Plane refit question

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 30, 2015