We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

Ft. Worth Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

Ok folks I have a question and I will most likely sound stupid but here goes. When you say "Always contact the airline" what exactly do you mean? Who do you talk to? How are you getting the great fares? I compared several sites today that all had pretty decent prices, but when i contacted the airlines themselves it was usually 2-3 times higher then the 3rd party sites. I just got off the phone with one airline that stated it was $3500 to get a flight from DFW to DUS. Now I don't fly much and hopefully i won't have to fly that much after this one. However i still need to be able to find some pretty cheap fares so that i can make the trip i need to. So who is it I need to talk to? Is there a special password that you need? I am not being sarcastic, i really want to know.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

First things first: $US3500 from DFW to DUS? Is that a single (one way) fare you've found, or one in Business or First? There are returns available for travel in June and July from $US1670, found in under a minute.

Let us know when you will travel, whether you need a single or return ticket and the cabin / class of service you wish to book.

Some third party websites have real time access to an airline's GDS (global distribution system) but others do not, hence the banner headlines claiming 'flights from A to B from $US100!!!!' *From* is the operative word in that claim, as the one seat that was available at that price was sold months ago, but because there was a seat at that price the statement is still valid, although skewed.

Let us know more about your plans. The secret handshake and code words come thereafter.

Edited: 5:49 pm, April 27, 2014
Ft. Worth Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

LOL Here is all of the info, I need to find a flight one way from DFW to DUS, leaving around the 27th of May Economy class, but I would prefer to be seated inside the passenger sections not the cargo hold. :D Anything else you might need just ask

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,566 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

NO one is getting "great" fares to Europe these days unless they are using points to pay for part of the trip! There is no secret to this situation. Most of us use airline web sites to book airline tickets because it is easier to deal directly with the airline when there are changes in itinerary etc. I have never found lower fares on 3rd party sites but it is possible that if you are looking for some sort of vacation pkg. (putting hotel and airline together) that you may find some sort of "deal". I prefer to book the exact airline itinerary that I want and the exact hotel that I want so I don't do pkgs at all.

One way tickets are always more expensive?? Why are you looking for a one way ticket????

Edited: 6:08 pm, April 27, 2014
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

Are you moving to DUS? It seems like you'd have to come back home otherwise. Perhaps you want a multi city ticket where you fly DFW-DUS and then somewhere else-DFW?

One way tickets are generally expensive unless you book them on a low cost airline that only does one way tickets (like Southwest, but they don't fly to Europe).

I've never tried to fly to DUS, but I found tix to Germany were a couple hundred more than to London or Paris.

In general, I don't think booking on the phone would work very well. I always book on the airline website, and if they change my flight and I have to reschedule by phone, I find what I want on the website and tell the person exactly what flights I want when I call.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

If you just want the least expensive option SAS airways fly DFW-ORD-Copenhagen-DUS for around $750 on 28th May. 2 changes but cheap.

For 1 change you can get US Airways DFW-ORD-DUS for $1651.

Check out skyscanner website.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

Fly with BA for $US1860 on 27 May. Depart DFW at 1835, arrive London Heathrow T5 at 0935. Depart from LHR T5 at 1045, arrive DUS at 1305. Your bags will be checked through to DUS and 70 minutes should be enough for a T5 to T5 connection at Heathrow. Since it will be booked as a through ticket, should the flight from DFW be delayed and you miss the connection to DUS, BA will work to find you a seat on the next available flight.

Simples. http://matrix.itasoftware.com for the information, but book at www.ba.com

Ft. Worth Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

hey that SAS sounds good, and yes i am moving over to Germany and DUS is the closest big airport to where i will be living.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

Suggest you purchase a round-trip ticket, not one way.

Ft. Worth Tx
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

Wouldn't the round-trip be wasting money since i won't be using it?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,978 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Contacting airlines vs. 3rd party ticket sites

In theory yes, but if a return is cheaper than the one way then you'll be saving money! ;-)