We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly and Save - help with my booking

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fly and Save - help with my booking

I made a booking with Fly and Save - Initially I contacted them with regard to flights advertised on their website as "prices from". I was given some flight details and prices, higher than the ones advertised, but when I went to book these "they had gone", they gave me an alternative (which to be far were a similar price) I went to check with all my party if the connections were suitable. 30 mins later I called back to book and guess what... yep they were "gone" they offered my another alternative by this time I am now losing a day of my holiday as the only flights available are now a day later. Third time lucky you would think but after booking for my flights and receiving confirmation and ATOL certificates, they have called me today to say that the airline hasn't given them confirmation of all the seats and that there is one missing and the flight is full. So one passenger will have to travel on a different flight on their own. Any idea where I stand, does anyone know where I stand and if the confirmation and ATOL certificates actually count for anything.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
37,695 posts
970 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

Unfortunately, most 3rd party booking agencies are at the mercy of the same constraints that one faces, when dealing directly with the airlines - with a few significant disadvantages, such as real-time availability. Some are mostly concerned with getting a customer "roped into" tickets, and will use any means necessary to induce them into giving up their money. Also, most such companies receive little, to no incentive to sell tickets, so will have to pay what the customer would, if going direct, plus their overhead and profit, i.e. it ends up costing more.

As for where you stand, probably faced with greater expense, and less convenience with travel plans/schedules.

This is why so very many here recommend making the bookings directly with the airline, rather than any 3rd party companies - even the "better" ones.

Good luck, and hope that it all does work out for you, and your party.

Hunt

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

What your rights are and what they will offer may very well be two different things. If the remaining passengers are already ticketed, there's probably not much you can do. I hope you have the good sense to book a ticket for last passenger direct with the airline although the fact that you were willing to jump through a number of hoops to book with Fly and Save in the first place isn't encouraging. ATOL certificates mean nothing as they only protect you if Fly and Save stop trading.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

As for where you stand, probably faced with greater expense, and less convenience with travel plans/schedules.

=====

+1

I wonder where you'd have stood if you'd just booked direct with an airline instead of chasing illusory deals? Probably all together on the same flight at the same price you paid anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,293 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

Unfortunately, booking with third parties is similar to you contacting me, Avaricious Dining Experiences, to book dinner for you at Pleasant Seaside Restaurant and Wine Bar, a perfectly fine resto in its own right, next Wednesday for a party of 5.

I call you back eventually to tell you that PSRWB tells me that the Wednesday bookings are full, but Thursday would work. Okay, that sounds fine, but now eating :-) into our planned meal regime.

Then I eventually call you again to say that PSRWB has room for all but one of your party. That one would need to find another restaurant to eat at. Yikes!

The anticipation of a nice meal together completely gone, thanks to Avaricious Dining Experiences, who should really not be in business at all. Not to mention making first, a direct call to PSRWB where you could have learned immediately that Wednesday for 5 people would not have worked. Allowing you to move on in one piece.

Book direct.

Edited: 4:20 pm, April 29, 2014
5. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:07 pm, April 26, 2014
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

Are you able to cancel this booking?

7. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 pm, April 27, 2014
8. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

9. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,250 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly and Save - help with my booking

Elaine, post #4 & #5 have been removed at the author's request. So whoever posted them removed it themselves.

Edited: 8:14 pm, April 26, 2014