We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking South African Airways flight on United.com

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Booking South African Airways flight on United.com

Hello all,

I am likely taking a trip to South Africa over the summer. I am considering flying business class in one direction from JFK and I was going to book the flight on United.com since they are partners with SAA and they give me the easy option of choosing which leg to book the business class on. They do not let me pick seats on United's website so I was wondering if there will be any issues with seat selection or availability? Or will I someone get a located on SAA's website where I can choose seats there?

Additionally, are there any other major differences I should be aware of?

Thank you

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking South African Airways flight on United.com

Amazing if you can find award availability in business on SAA using UA miles. If you are able to book this, you need your SAA confirmation number to book seats. This can be found on your UA itinerary.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking South African Airways flight on United.com

You can only reserve seats on united.com for United and United Express flights. What you'll need to do is find the record locator (PNR) that can be used on the SAA website. I don't know if you get sent that automatically by United or whether you'd need to call them to get it (my multi-carrier/partner carrier tickets are booked by a travel agent and they send me all the PNRs).

But, before you do anything, check with SAA as to how (even whether) you can reserve seats booked through a partner, and what their policy is. For example (not UA/SA or * related, but) some people who book say British Airways through American get surprised when they find out there's a charge to reserve seats before check in, even in business class.

3. Re: Booking South African Airways flight on United.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 26, 2015