We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outgoing passenger card Australia

australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Outgoing passenger card Australia

If we are going from Sydney to London with an hour and a half in Hong Kong, where it asks "Country where you will get off this flight"…do we put UK or Hong Kong? Technically we are "getting off the plane" in Hong Kong but it's the same flight number right through to the UK.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
472 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

If it's the same flight number IMHO, just put in your final destination of the flight.

If challenged by border security in any case, just show them your itinerary and it will be pretty obvious it was just an honest mistake. I don't think they'll be that draconian though.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

Which airline and what is the flight number? Just wondering because Qantas don't fly via Hong Kong to London and if it is a Cathay Pacific flight, there would be different flight numbers for each leg of your flights.

Edited: 2:16 am, April 24, 2014
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

One of the reason's this question is asked is in case of a medical situation arising - food poisoning, contamination, fellow passengers found to have infectious diseases etc.

If it's necessary to contact other passengers who were on the flight, it's a useful starting point to know what country they are in. So I'd put down your final destination - London.

Mostly, though, the question is just for Bureau of Statistics number crunching. The information on the departure card normally never leaves Australia. As far as border protection goes, your final destination is on your e-ticket.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

I'd put Hong Kong, as that is the country you will be getting off that flight - as in the flight you are boarding in Sydney.

I've never heard emel's theory about this quetion being asked in case of a medical situation - and I don't understand how knowning what country they are in is any help at all - surely having someone's email address and phone number would be useful for contact.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

It's not a 'theory' its something that was told to me by a manager in the Department of Immigration.

Outgoing passenger cards are looked at, put in a box and put away.

Not everyone has an email address or carries a mobile phone. Although I have both, I've never given either to the Government when I travel.Maybe it's different for UK residents leaving the UK.

Knowing which country someone is going to means that, if necessary, the relevant officials can contact the authorities in that country, and hopefully find where the missing passengers are staying.

However, as I said, 99.9% of the time the data is only used by the ABS who want to know where Australians are going for their holidays.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

I'v ealways put the country that I get off my flight on - so in this case, I would put Hong Kong

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

There is no debate. The answer is Hong Kong.

Regardless of airline, you will be transferring planes in HKG and changing flight numbers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

in regards to medical emergencies etc. Just register on smartravller - the Aussie Governmetn website where you register your ravel plans. I always do and I haven't lived in Australia for 15 years - but just in case there's a problem in a country I am in - I want them to know where I am hahahh.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

Emel is absolutely correct.

It is one of the methods used to monitor medical and health, not just for the individual, but for border protection. I too have heard that.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,796 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outgoing passenger card Australia

I often hesitate over this question too. I have taken to writing both destinations, so in Your case I'd write "UK (via Hong Kong)". I've never seen a border control officer give it a second glance, so I guess it must be acceptable.

Abs :)