We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline transfer

Banbury, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
airline transfer

i am going to orlando via frankfurt from heathrow, i have one hour before my connecting flight leaves and will need to board it 30 mins before. so that leaves me 30 mins to get off initial flight, get through security checks etc and find my next flight. slightly nervous about timings and what security checks will i have. can anyone put my mind at rest please ?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: airline transfer

Assuming you are on one ticket, the minimum connection time for Frankfurt from one Lufthansa flight to another Lufthansa flight is one hour (I am guessing that is your airline)

If your flight from London is on time it should be possible however if delayed you could find yourself with an alternative (non-direct) option or a 24 hour wait

Did you choose the flights with that connection or were there no other options (the flights appear to be hourly from 06:30)

Edited: 2:34 pm, April 23, 2014
Banbury, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airline transfer

Lufthansa is the airline yes and we decided on a connecting flight to keep down the cost.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airline transfer

That will be a very (too?) tight connection.

UK
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airline transfer

Tight - yes. Too tight - no.

You won't have to change terminals. You won't have to go through Immigration (as it's non-Schengen to non-Schengen). I don't know about Security as I've never done non-Schengen to non-Schengen at FRA. (Non-Schengen to Schengen you do have to re-clear Security, Schengen to non-Schengen you don't)

If your inbound flight is on time there should be no problem whatsoever.

If you miss your connection then it's Lufthansa's responsibility to get you to your final destination, and it's in their own interest to do so as quickly as possible, especially if the delay is due to reasons that are NOT outside their control because the amount of compensation you are entitled to doubles if they don't get you to your destination within four hours of the original scheduled time. (If the delay is due to reasons outside their control - like weather - then you are not entitled to compensation but you are still entitled to food and a night in a hotel if applicable)

Edited: 10:29 am, April 24, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airline transfer

It's not mandatory to have to reclear security at FRA if you're arriving from an EU flight (UK is non-Schegen, but EU). But it's airport dependent, so whether you'll need to clear security or not will depend on whether there's a secure air side route between your arriving gate and the departing one.

I've arrived from Heathrow and gone straight to my departing gate, which luckily (as the inbound was very late) happened to be the next one along. However I've also had to clear security because my departing gate was on completely the opposite side of the terminal from the arriving one.

I agree, "very tight" yes (it's not a connection I would book), "impossible" no. Good luck.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,014 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: airline transfer

I have done both Schengen to Non Schengen and Schengen to Schengen flight transfers in the last six months . It all depends on the time of day and what class you are traveling . The times I went through security for the first . Class there were about 10 people to 15 ahead of me and it moved quickly . Frankfurt is very thorough and they have and automated belt in the screening area for secondary bag checks and that can slow things down as the secondary screener does one bag at a time per belt unlike say the US where there may be multiple agents on secondary per belt. -- so it takes time

On the regular security line I saw about a 100 or so people in line around 8am with about 4-5 screening areas around noon that line was half that and at about 3 PM about the same --

Edited: 12:55 pm, April 24, 2014
Banbury, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: airline transfer

HEY . thanks for all the advice . decided to get a slightly ealier flight out of heathrow to make it a little less stressful.

UK
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: airline transfer

Probably a wise decision! Better to twiddle your thumb at a departure gate, than to have to stress about whether or not you're going to make it.

9. Re: airline transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 27, 2015