We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USAirways - Pathetic!

Cortland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
USAirways - Pathetic!

For several months now we have been haggling with USAir over a cancelled flight and poor customer service in Philadelphia, PA. They cancelled the flight based on air traffic control putting our flight in a waiting status but say its still not their problem they cancelled the flight. Passengers at customer service that evening swore and caused scenes with different agents but we refuse to step to that level. But those passengers received free lodging while we had to pay a lot for a room based on low supply and high demand. Their customer service continues with lame apologies but no real action. We will refuse to fly USAir and want everyone to know their shady practices.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USAirways - Pathetic!

Oh No . US air is soon going to be American and then if you want to not fly American, I guess oneworld carriers will be out. Which Airlines would you recommend people fly then ?

Before you answer that, type in the airline you recommend here in this forum and search it with Scam, horrible, pathetic and voila -- if we listen to all such posts -- we will have to walk or find a horse or take a ship -- no airline should be flown according to other TA members

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USAirways - Pathetic!

Hi,

"They cancelled the flight based on air traffic control putting our flight in a waiting status but say its still not their problem they cancelled the flight."

==> This is a bit confusing as Air Traffic Control, doesn't actually cancel specific flights per se.. They do have the sole authority to close air space and regulate the number and frequency of departures and arrivals... In turn, carriers have to make plans to either delay or even cancel departures such that their operations can now "fit" into what local ATC will allow.

So, IF your flights was planned to depart when the local ATC center issued a flow control notice, then ultimately US would be correct in that the driving reason for the cancellation would be ATC... and for most carriers, that is a situation where many carriers won't pay and aren't liable for a compensatory claim.

"Passengers at customer service that evening swore and caused scenes with different agents but we refuse to step to that level."

==> If passengers were swearing at staff, that's not ok.. period.. I don't believe its ever acceptable for EITHER party to swear at, use abusive, racial or other similar language when talking.. IF the local US staff gave these people some kind of compensation or other discretionary items *because* they were swearing (ostensibly to placate them) then that's wrong and US should be made aware of that.

"... we had to pay a lot for a room based on low supply and high demand."

==> Coming back to the first point, IF the driving reason for the cancellation was ATC related, then it sounds like the acted correctly and in line with their published policies on the matter.

As ugly as it may be, the carrier can in fact offer discretionary items to one type or class of passenger, but not to other, so long as the decision to do so isn't based on a federally protected characteristic such as age, color, religion, gender, disability, martial status, etc.

US Airways:

usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/customersfirst/c…

However, in this case, to the extent it's been disclosed, sounds like US took the easy way out and rewarded bad behavior.

Travel Safe,

Cortland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USAirways - Pathetic!

Honestly I prefer Southwest. And I understand you can find a problem with any airline, I just prefer to make my point known and will show my displeasure by voicing my concerns and utilizing other options.

4. Re: USAirways - Pathetic!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 18, 2015