We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

Hi guys,

So I was wondering if you could help me.

I want to fly to LA in May. A return flight with British Airways from LDN to LA is about £650, however, a return flight with the same dates from Stockholm to LA is £350 and part of the journey is a stop off in London?

Am I able to book the flight from Stockholm to LA and "miss" my original transfer from Stockholm to LDN and just hop on at London?

Any help massively appreciated.

Cheers

Cheers

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,276 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

No - your entire itinerary will be canceled if you miss the flight out of Stockholm. Do a web or forum search on "hidden city ticketing" to get more details.

-JimG

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

Not a chance of just "hopping on at London" if you don't join your flight at Stockholm your flight will be automatically cancelled as you will be treated as a no show-airlines know about this type of ruse it's called hidden city ticketing

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

Want cheap for May?-get to Dublin and fly AA DUB-ORD-SNA (just south of LA) price is about £435 return plus cost of get to/from DUB and it's kosher

Kent
Level Contributor
6,375 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

also check norwegian air, they had good prices a while ago

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

there are 2 main reasons for the difference

1) UK APD only applies to flights commencing in the UK and not those connecting through the UK (under 24 hour connection)

2) Market competition - there are direct flights from ARN to LAX so prices for an indirect flight need to be competitive to entice people to take an indirect flight rather than the direct flight

ex-EU flights (non-UK) can be good value but you need to factor in a separate flight to get you to your stating point and possibly an overnight stay or long connection as on separate tickets you will take all the risk should your positioning flight be delayed meaning you could end up having to buy a new ticket for the longhaul journey

6. Re: Cheaper flight from further away location? Example included!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 18, 2015