We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying domestically in China - advise!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Flying domestically in China - advise!

Dear Guys, I will be doing a flight from Deqing (Zhejiang) to Shanghai Hongqiao in a few months time. Time is slowly approaching to start booking the tickets and I've seen that only China Eastern via Kunming and China Southern via Guangzhou are available. Any advice on which of the two I should choose and why? Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,750 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

I don't think there is any major difference between the two. I know people who fly these airlines regularly and they don't have much of a preference. Note that flight delays are a frequent occurrence in Shanghai in general regardless of your airline choice.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

honestly for such a short flights it makes no difference what airline. Just go for the one with the best times or cost

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

Thank you for your reply and advice guys, Best Wishes!

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

Deqing is close to Shanghai (in Chinese terms), that is why there is no direct flight. It makes no sense to fly via Kunming or Guangzhou.

You can take the train (G7343) direct from Deqing to Shanghai en get there in 1:48hours.

Edited: 4:34 pm, April 11, 2014
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,787 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

I've flown China Southern a few times and would use them again without qualms. To be honest, the same applies to China Eastern, but it has been a while. I quite enjoyed my Hong Kong Express flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

hi apologies, i meant Deqing in Yunnan province

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

ooops, diqing :) sorry :)

Dalian
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

I haven't checked the flight durations, however, given that Kunming is just a few hundred km away it would much more sense flying via there rather than Guangzhou which must be, at least, 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours flight time away (and south east rather than northeast in the direction of Shanghai).

There is little to choose between the two airlines. Don't expect smiles at check-in, or customer service/support (if its needed) to be anything more than the bare minimum and you will be fine. Internal flights with domestic airlines in China are notoriously late - though early morning flights generally do leave on time/fairly on time i.e. before late plane arrivals/ATC congestion builds up over the course of the day. Set a low bar on your expectations and you might even enjoy the flights!

Enjoy your trip to Shangri-La!

Shantou, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

google ctrip.

It's china's equivilant to skyscanner ;)

Shantou, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying domestically in China - advise!

On a side note, you often get cheaper fares if you can pay using RMB, especially so for China Southern (China Eastern you can pay with an international creditcard).

If you need help with that, PM me