We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

I will be traveling soon with my two children ages 3 and 9 on a out of country flight. I have their passports. Woud I need their birth certifcates or to fill out any online forms for them. Also is a car seat required for my 3 year old to fly? We will mostly be walking on our trip.

Thank you for any input.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

No car seats required, but you should get a notarized letter from their father allowing you to take them out of the country.

England, United...
Level Contributor
14,556 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

Where are you travelling from and where are you going?

Are the children solely in your care, control and custody or is it the case that their father just happens not to be travelling with you all on this occasion.

If you are perhaps divorced or legally separated, things might be different....

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

I have traveled with my children and grand-children when they were young on numerous occasions. The only time I needed a notarized letter and birth certificate was 1) on a one way international ticket-needed letter from ex-husbands lawyer giving permission. 2) on a return international return ticket with my grandchild-notarized letter from his parents and his birth certificate. When traveling with my children on return international tickets I needed nothing but their passports.

Edited: 3:31 pm, April 10, 2014
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

The problem is though that sometimes they do ask and if they do and you don't have it, you are screwed. I travel with my kids internationally all the time (on return tickets) and get asked about 50% of the time. If I didn't have it, that would have been a costly over sight.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

Sorry to mention but we are going on a family trip to Mexico including my husband (their father).

I will bring their birth certificates just in case. I just wanted to be prepared because we live very far from the airport.

So no car seat is necessary for an almost 4 year old?

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

No car seats are required for any age. We also bring our birth certificates and the kids just in case something happens. We leave everything in the safe once we get there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

I've travelled often with my daughter on her own, never once been asked for any form of authority from my husband,

And no, no car seat required for a three year old.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

Thank you all for the input!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

I recently traveled to London with my daughter and her friend. At immigration in London, I was asked for my husband's death certificate, and a notarized permission to travel letter from the friend's parents.

Just got back from a trip to Italy, where I wasn't asked for anything. The man who stamped our passports upon entry to Italy never looked at us, or our pictures; he was too bust talking to the officer next to him. He just flipped open the passports and stamped them. So, you just never know. Better safe than sorry.

Edited: 9:37 pm, April 10, 2014
Wales
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! 1st time traveling w child on intl flight.

I'm confused: the OP says in #5 that the children's father is travelling too. Surely all they need (in terms of identity) is passports, not birth certificates too?

And going back to her original post, she may need to complete the API (Advance Passenger Information) online (on the airline's website usually).