We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Coventry, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

I booked a ticket on Fly.co.uk two months ago but the payment failed. I thought they had problem making the transaction, so I booked on another website. A few days later they emailed me that they noticed I had booked a same ticket with another agency, and that if I did not reply that email, the flight would be canceled and I would be imposed charges. I was afraid they would charge me for not replying, so I replied to cancel the ticket. Then, they have kept emailing me to request a cancellation fee of £ 100. And now, they even request £ 112.5 (plus a reminder fee of £ 12.5). In the email, they say if I do not transfer the money by April 16, 2014, they will sue me and I will pay more (including the attorney fee and court fee).

Could you please tell me what I can do? I really do not want to run a risk to be sued, but I don't want to pay this unreasonable money, either.

Thank you for your help.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,213 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Ignore it. You didn't enter into a contract so they are unable to do anything about it.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Fly.co.uk are just trying to shake the money tree to see if anything falls to the ground-don't worry ignore it and sooner or later they will lose interest

Edited: 2:01 pm, April 10, 2014
Coventry, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Thank you very much.

In their "terms and conditions", they say the contract is valid once they send me a confirmation. And they sent me an email with a confirmation for a reservation, not for a ticket, in spite of the payment failure. I am afraid they will claim that the valid contract exists since they sent me this confirmation. Do you think this is legally valid?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Questionable under UK law also if they did decide to take it to court (which they won't) they would also have to explain themselves as snooping on other agencies websites is a clear breach of the data protection act-financial penalties for this type of behaviour are potentially massive

Coventry, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Thank you very much for your reply, which is very useful.

However, the original paragraph in their email is "It has come to our attention that more than one ticket for the same flight has been booked under your name. It is possible that you may have attempted to book this flight with a different travel agency and it has not yet been cancelled. Please look into this as soon as possible and contact us per e-mail or phone within 24 hours. In the event that you do not reply to this e-mail, the airline may cancel the flight and impose charges."

I am afraid this does not mean that they admitted that they snooped on other agencies' websites. It seems that they deduced that I booked with some other agency.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,622 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

How can they deduce that you bought a ticket with another agency, unless they snooped or they own the other agency?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,578 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

Hi,

I'll take a stab here.. I bet the agent contacted the carrier -- the carrier then said something like "Oh, s/he is already ticketed." From there, the first agent deduces that the OP booked with a different agent subsequent to the first.

That's probably how it got detected.. but.. in most cases the only thing the *airline* cares about is that you don't have two or more, *identical* bookings -- that is for the same flight, same day, same class, etc. -- all made with different agents, as this is holding one or more seats out of inventory that you can't possibly use, and while it's under booking, the airline or another agent can't (usually) sell to someone else.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 2:45 pm, April 10, 2014
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

They are trying to scare you, this is a really good forum for Free advice post your question there and see what they say.

http://legalbeagles.info/

I think they are trying it on and would ignore them, but I'm used to dealing with this sort of thing, and I'm not intimidated by these companies, but I can understand people who are.

Deb

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,884 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

"It has come to our attention that more than one ticket for the same flight has been booked under your name. It is possible that you may have attempted to book this flight with a different travel agency and it has not yet been cancelled.

---------------

Suggesting they have as mentioned contacted the airline and found out the information. Not sure if this breaches the Data Protection Act or not tbh as they are an 'information owner' from the booking you tried to make. One would need to know more of the detail (not a request!) but it's a while since I was involved in DP issues and am rusty.

I would sit it out. If the payment failed (keep any records of this), I don't think it's unreasonable to book elsewhere. The issue may be whether you thought the 'confirmation' was therefore nullified. You might get some advice (or where to go for some) from your local Citizen Advice Bureau on next steps should you need to take any.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,213 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help - I am threatened to be sued by Fly.co.uk‏

If the transaction didn't go through for the first ticket then you don't have two tickets booked on the same flight.