We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet APD refund query

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet APD refund query

Myself and a friend will be unable to make a return flight from Gatwick to Newcastle in July. (I stupidly miscalculated the distance and time it would take to get to Gatwick and through security after a matinee show, for a 7pm flight home! Stupid, I know!)

Anyway.... I know the flights are non-refundable. However, I have heard that I may be able to get my APD tax back at a total of £26, which would be much appreciated, if it's possible!?

Can anyone tell me.... Should I cancel the flight and request the tax on that cancellation call? Or simply not turn up for the flight and then claim it back after a no-show? Will there be any hidden costs involved if I don't show and then claim?

I'd be so grateful for a response as I've scoured the internet and have seen so many contradictory statements.

Thanks in advance :-)

Edited: 6:18 pm, April 02, 2014
Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

cancel flight and inform them at the time, that you require the APD back as it is charged per person travelling.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

Thank you. And there won't be a charge for the actual cancellation?

Durham
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

There's no point in cancelling. Just reclaim APD by phone or email after the flights have happened.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

"Thank you. And there won't be a charge for the actual cancellation?"

Nope, no charge.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

Why is there no point in cancelling? I know I definitely can't make the flight. I just assumed that by simply not showing up that could go against me? Should I or should I not check in online then? All v. Confusing.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

Hi,

"Should I or should I not check in online then? All v. Confusing."

==> I personally wouldn't check-in online for a flight you *know* you won't be taking.. From the carriers perspective, there's not a huge amount of difference.

Once the boarding process starts, they'll being to scour the list and just before they close the doors, they'll drop the no-shows and for most carriers, that triggers a no-show entry into that passengers reservation.

By telling them in advance, the only major difference here (in most cases) is that the carrier makes this happen sooner and not later.

The only thing I'd caution here is IF you think there is *any* chance you (or the passenger in question) *might* make the flight, then don't pro-actively cancel it, as it will be most likely be very, very hard, if at all possible, to then re-instate it later on when that person actually shows up to travel/board.

Travel Safe,

7. Re: Easyjet APD refund query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 05, 2015