We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

Minnesota
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

In the spring of 2015 I plan on traveling to Hawaii from Minneapolis. The suggestion was made to get a Hawaiian airlines Visa to take advantage of the 50% off companion ticket. This would make a lot of sense, but since I am from Minnesota and Hawaiian doesn't service Minnesota, this deal really doesn't help out that much for me does it? Especially if I want my flights on one ticket? Am I right in my line of thinking.....?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

Ok: Alaska does not serve Minnesota, yes? You live in Minnesota, Yes? And your question about Alaska Airlines is? Thanks. Chuck.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

I don't quite understand how Alaska is connected with this, but i would say that your line of thinking is correct - I'm not really sure how that would help you. Unless that would cover tickets with a partner airline that did serve your local airport.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

The Hawaiian Visa 50% companion fare is only good on HA "metal," so no go from Minnesota.

You should look, however, at the Alaska Airlines (B of A) Visa that gives you a $99 companion ticket (not 50% off, it's worth more.) It's a good deal overall, although not as good as when you could use the $99 fare even for first class. There are usually very good signup bonuses - 25,000 frequent flyer miles or more, and Alaska's mileage plan is one of the best.

Alaska's economy product to Hawaii is pretty decent, and IMO their credit card and mileage plan would be way better than Hawaiian's in the long run.

Of course Alaska flies to Minnesota - twice a day from SEA to MSP. They used to codeshare with Delta on that route, but DL and AS seem to be going through an icky divorce at the moment.

Edited: 3:29 pm, April 01, 2014
Minnesota
Level Contributor
163 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

Thanks, I meant Hawaiian air doesn't do mn, but Alaska does. Am I correct in thinking That I could get one ticket from mn to hawaii for $99?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

$99 does not include taxes, though, which can be quite substantial. A running joke with a friend of mine was listening to her yelling down the phone at an airline booking agent, "How much does a $99 ticket cost, dammit!"

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

Taxes will be around $80, so the total will be around $180 give or take, vs. around $830 (most of the year) from MSP to HNL.

7. Re: Alaskan Airlines visa 50% off companion deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 04, 2015