We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

Newfane, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

We are flying Aer Lingus from NYC to Dublin in May. We will be immediately (no time in Dublin) be taking a short haul flight from Dublin to Glasgow and then spending a week in Scotland. Upon returning to Dublin, we will be spending 10 days there before returning to the states. Aer Lingus' baggage policies seem pretty unreasonable- bad enough that our carry-on bags must already be smaller because the short haul restrictions are smaller than those for the long haul, but now I've been told that we also are not entitled to a personal item on the short haul (or that it has to fit into the carry-on and that weight restrictions still apply. Crazy- seems there should be specific accommodations for people who are combining long & short haul fares.

Anyway... thought about storing a bag at the Dublin airport but left luggage storage is terribly pricey. Wondering if anyone has any better solutions- would be nice to have the additional luggage for the Ireland portion of the trip anyway. Thanks!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

From from JFK-DUB-GLA your luggage allowance will be 23kgs plus hand luggage plus something like a laptop because it is a continuation of an International flight, on you return you are only travelling GLA-DUB with the regional airline which has a standard allowance of 20kgs (if paid for) plus hand luggage only, then 10 days thereafter you travel DUB-JFK and the international allowance apply once again-in practice I find Aer Lingus one of the most understanding and accommodating airlines on this planet and suggest when you check in at GLA for DUB you explain your predicament and even possibly show them proof of your onward travel with the airline and ask them very very nicely(do not demand or rant) what can be done?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

Your flight to Glasgow will be operated by Aer Arann and they fly small commuter planes. These planes have much smaller overhead storage space, this is why your cabin baggage is limited in size. A larger bag just won't fit, so you will have to abide by the smaller size.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,760 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

ATR72's, as said, have very limited overhead space and large carry on won't fit. Take a small collapsable bag with you for essentials like passport etc and put the rest in the hold. When I say in the hold they will probably tag it at the gate. The plane is not suitable for an airbridge so they may even ask you to take it to the plane yourself.

Is your ticket multicity on the one ticket? Not sure what the rules are there so you could ask at Dublin when you get there. I certainly would not go to the extra expense of storing a bag in Dublin.

I doubt with EI it will be a big deal

Newfane, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

thanks- I do understand this but don't understand why you cannot have a personal item like a laptop- it stays on your lap.

Edited: 4:13 pm, March 31, 2014
Newfane, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

sorry- my first time on this forum :) To smudge99- , thanks- I do understand this but don't understand why you cannot have a personal item like a laptop- it stays on your lap.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

Not during take off and landing it don't!!!

Newfane, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

thanks RonaldoC- adding on extra baggage is more expensive than it's worth.

In general, it's nice to hear that Aer Lingus is known to be flexible, although I have already been told by them (more than one source) that you cannot get around the policy. I would hate to hope for leniency and then get stuck with a 50 euro tab just to accommodate my laptop. Not sure what to do!

Newfane, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

289 Jumper- no, that's true but it certainly could be stored under the seat during take off if your carry on is in the overhead compartment. Maybe I'm missing something

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

It really does depend on the person you are dealing with at check in-perhaps I've been incredibly lucky, perhaps it's been because I have not been loaded to the max,perhaps it's been because the flights were not choc-a-bloc, perhaps it's been because I've asked nicely for their understanding not demanded but the regional arm have been great when I've had flights to/from DUB with a break in between flights to/from US

Edited: 4:31 pm, March 31, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aer Lingus Long & Short Haul Baggage Policy problems

I travel on these planes fairly regularly and have a laptop bag and handbag and there is never any problem. The overhead lockers would hold about 2 laptop backpacks.

Strange little planes, boarding is by steps at the rear and when landing they get rows 1-10 to stay seated until the back have disembarked - I envision that if everyone went to the back at once the plane might tip up!