We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

Hi.

I am unfamiliar with immigration/customs wait times at LAX, so hoping someone can give us good advice. Our daughter will be arriving on a LAN flight at 7:20pm and we wanted to book her on an Alaska Airlines flight leaving LAX at 9:15pm. My instincts tell me this might not be enough time to claim bags, got through immigration and customs, and find her next gate. What do you think? Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

I suggest 3 hours, absolute minimum

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

Hi,

I agree.. Unless you're using one of the few carrier-dedicated FIS areas, at LAX, 3hrs really is a good bench mark.. and IF you're on two separate tickets (where by you bear all risks) I'd push that out to four or more - depending on carriers involved.

Travel Safe,

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

Thank you, both. We will book a flight the next morning.

Edited: 2:12 pm, March 30, 2014
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

This sounds like two separately ticketed flights so a long time between flights is better.

However bearing in mind her final destination and the route/cost comparisons you might want to see if there is a suitable flight with AA as they treat separately ticketed flights with oneworld partners such as LAN as a through ticket which would give you the same connection protection. Might be an alternative to the Alaska/hotel plan.

aa.com/i18n/…oneworld_tkt_policy.jsp

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
46 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

Ok, thanks. I'll check the AA ticket before making a decision.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,074 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

LAN and Alaska have a partnership but not sure how they would handle the transfer of luggage if you are buying 2 separate tickets. It would have been better to buy one through ticket!!

LAN arrives at Tom Bradley Terminal and Alaska Air departs from terminal 6.

So your daughter won't just have to go through immigration and customs but will also have to walk to her new terminal and go through security. IF you are booking 2 completely separate tickets she will also have to check in her luggage unless Alaska and LAn will transfer it for you.

IF it were my trip I'd want at least 3hrs for this transfer and if on 2 separate tickets then even more time because if she misses the 2nd plane (because the first one is late) then she will have to buy a whole new ticket!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,970 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

It looks like the only American flights from LAX to PDX are code shares operated by Alaska (ie the same flights).

I may be wrong, but I would seriously doubt whether AA would give protection to non AA metal flights. You could call American and ask, but the only source of the OneWorld protection is that link on #4 (this protection has never been officially announced by OneWorld) and it states -

"... customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers."

I'd contend that a code shares operated by AS is not travel on a OneWorld airline. I may be wrong, but I'd be careful.

8. Re: LAX - immigration, customs, transfer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 01, 2015