We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabin baggage

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Cabin baggage

I often travel without checking in a bag - just taking a small cabin case. Its quite difficult keeping the weight down to 5kilos, so I wondered just how some people seem able to stagger on to the aircraft with HUGE suitcases which obviously weigh more than the allowed maximum.

London
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabin baggage

Always been a mystery to me Barb and one of my pet hates - just think they are lucky with lax check-in staff.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabin baggage

This remains a mystery to me also, we spend a good few hours the day before flying making sure our hand luggage abides by the airline regs weighing and measuring our cases only to see people struggling on board with cases and bags that look enormous compared to ours so much so that they have trouble fitting them in the overhead lockers.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabin baggage

Same here, I've always wondered. But I know if I tried it, I'd be the one humiliated at the gate. My luck...

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,905 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabin baggage

"just think they are lucky with lax check-in staff."

It's not just check in staff at Los Angeles, it's pretty much anywhere! ;-) (sorry you tee'd me up for that WS).

London
Level Contributor
8,189 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabin baggage

Bit slow and just realized sunmagic lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabin baggage

I have no clue why people want to,,,genuinely. I always allow time for collecting my bag and have no desire at all to drag it round with me at the airport.,given the choice i always check in and am happy to pay to do so.

Following a very unfortunate event where a security agent in Brussels felt there was a metal bar in my luggage that they had to find, and forced the other agents to take everything out, and scan it pretty much individually, inc my underwear.in full view of a major, major queue, as everyone watched, and then scan it again, and held the queue for a good ten to twenty minutes, I now check whenever I can. No desire ever to go through that again,

Oh and seemingly it was my hair brush. How they thought there was a metal bar in a pair of lacy knickers I will never know, but held up for the general viewing public they were. The result...I always check where possible. Even if I don't really need to, I will check it,

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabin baggage

Most of the people do online check-ins and no-one before the gate gets to say anything. If they start ordering people to check in their too heavy baggage at the gate, it usually means the departure will be delayed.

There are great variations on cabin luggage rules. With KLM you can take up to 12kgs and with British Airways 23kgs (really), so people are sometimes used to different allowances.

UK
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabin baggage

I'm surprised by the OP's reference to 5 kg. Are there really still airlines that limit carry-on luggage to 5 kg? I thought it was generally much higher these days - 10 kg seems to be about average for European carriers. North American carriers have no weight limit, and neither do Easyjet and BA.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabin baggage

Froggy, I think your lesson was to only travel with your "best" underwear :)

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabin baggage

Are there really still airlines that limit carry-on luggage to 5 kg?

------------------------

Thomson I believe.

Froggy, I'd have given your smalls a big cheer as they were hoisted high above the security table.