We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

My partner and I are seriously considering flying to Europe during the

Christmas period at the end of this year. However, we are not very

flexible with dates.

We want to leave on December 20 give or take 3-4 days. We intend on

staying in Europe for a total of approximately 4 weeks (want to be

back in Melbourne by January 22/23 in 2015).

The cities which effectively are a priority on our proposed travel

itinerary are the following (in no particular order):

1/ London, UK ~ 4-5 nights

2/ Paris, France ~ 5-6 nights

3/ Amsterdam, Netherlands ~ 2-3 nights

4/ Rome, Italy ~ 3-4 nights (and possibly another smaller town in

Italy, eg. Naples, if we have the time)

5/ Athens, Greece ~3-4 nights

6/ Budapest, Hungary ~ 2-3 nights

7/ Prague, Czech Republic ~ 2-3 nights

8/ Barcelona, Spain ~ 2-3 nights

I am looking for flights around the xmas period and am having trouble finding anything below $2300!

We want to fly with a good airline (we consider a good airline safe, that's about it, we can tolerate the rest, eg bad service). We don't mind which city we fly into, even if we fly into a city not on our travel list we are happy to start and/or end our journey from a city not mentioned above.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

- CHEAPEST AIRLINE TO TRAVEL TO EUROPE AROUND THOSE DATES? (we want a safe one, not like Garuda which has terrible accident history)

- BEST TIME TO BOOK XMAS FLIGHTS TO EUROPE? (now aka earlybird is cheapest? or I have heard six weeks before is the cheapest, but if we wait till then and flights are more expesnive, then we are doomed!)

- BEST CITY TO FLY INTO EUROPE FOR THE BEST PRICE DURING THE XMAS PERIOD MENTIONED ABOVE?

Thanks for all your help in advance

I am really looking to pay max $2000-$2100 for one ticket, possible?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

Try those different cities in Momondo and then try directly with the airlines that come up as cheapest? There are some routes that might became cheaper if you're willing to travel through a smaller airport (Finnair is part of OneWorld and they sometimes sell cheap Asian connections, Hong Kong-Helsinki-Barcelona or such).

I think 20th is one of the most expensive and busy/problematic days to fly and the prices will probably just go up. It's affordable until 18th and then 27-31 are cheaper again (I did lots of searches for those dates).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

Hi tony

We have flown from Melbourne for the last two years immediately after Christmas. Two years ago we got very cheap ($1600 AUD) flights with MAS into Paris and out of London between Christmas and New Year.

Last year, we went to Prague and Germany but could not get flights anywhere less than $2700 to any European city at the exact same time of year.

We always book early and have found we get the best prices booking 9-10 months out.

Airfares just seem particularly expensive at that time of year.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

All airlines operating within Europe are safe. I don't know anything about Garuda, but the kind of airlines that fly planes tied together with string and chewing gum are not allowed to operate within the EU, so you don't need to search especially for "safe".

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

I had to do some searches for you too :)

Air France (/Delta) Melbourne-Paris via Atlanta starts from 1450 AUD. That's the cheapest I found.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

Not surprisingly Christmas is an expensive time to travel. It can also be problematic due to weather conditions.

Your itinerary is also quite ambition. Do you really want to be moving around that much?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

but if we wait till then and flights are more expesnive, then we are doomed!

------------------------

If a more expensive initial fare is going to 'doom you' I do hope you have budgeted enough to travel to and from all those places on your list. That itinerary is not going to be cheap.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

Thanks for all your replies.

I have flown to Europe myself in 2011. I flew in the February month and got tickets for about $1600 from memory. I used ryanair to travel to all cities I travelled to. I did about 9-10 cities in 5 weeks I think.

It was very affordable (because of Ryanair) and easy to manage (I knew where I was going in each city and didn't waste any time..it was an exhaustive trip, but very enjoyable).

We are youngsters so we can handle lots of travelling in a small period of time...I'll keep looking for goo flight deals...worst case scenario is we can't get the flight we want and we don't go.

My flexibility for dates has become very ridiculous since I have started my new job, unfortunate!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,861 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

That is a very ambitious itinerary and if relying on flights for transfers, even with Low Cost Carriers, will be very expensive at the peak flying period. If you leave booking flights until 6 weeks or less before the cost will be much more expensive and flight times more restrictive.

BTW Maples is far from being a small town. It is the third biggest municipality in Italy with a population in the metropolitan area of over 4 million.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

Mrs MM77 which airline/city did you find cheap flights for around the 18th? I can't find any...week commencing 15 dec 2014 (although preferably later in week) is a possibility for us to leave if we can find a really good flight

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,865 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheapest european city to fly into during xmas period

No data on this but from reading posts about flight prices over the past years it seems that they have gone up significantly. 2011 was the midst of a recession and travel was down, especially business travel so you could get bargains as airlines tried desperately to just break even and fill up capacity.

Now it seems that is not the case and hence they can charge more. Also fuel has gone up significantly so unfortunately that all means you will have to pay more for flights. Even Ryanair don't seem to be doing really cheap flights anymore. Not seen any 99p flights for some time although to be fair I don't check them all the time.