We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

Barrhead, Scotland...
7 posts
Save Topic
BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

My grandfather and I will be travelling to Beijing in October, and have 3 flight options. Either we fly GLA-LHR-PEK with British Airways, which is a carrier we are familiar with, EDI-CDG-PEK-AMS-EDI with Air France and KLM, or EDI-FRA-PEK with Lufthansa. BA are the most expensive and Air France are the cheapest, so I was wondering which would be better (crew, transfers, IFE, seat comfort e.c.t) There is very little difference in price, a range of about £100 from top to bottom

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

Honestly, in economy, nothing between them. IFE all about the same, all have professional staff, all have a similar seat pitch in economy. Just choose the one with the most convenient flight times.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

Between the three, I would pick BA. However, in economy, the difference isn't huge.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

I would pick BA, then Lufthansa and then Air France.

There is not much difference in terms of seat or product as such.

As mentioned above I would look at schedule and total time of travel as well as price.

And then there are other factors (more personal).

If you fly via LHR you might feel more comfortable in terms of language than in CDG or FRA. I personally rate BA and Lufthansa very high in terms of crew training. I would be a bit concerned about possible strikes in Frankfurt.

The advantage with Air France / KLM is the option to see Paris and Amsterdam a bit.

In general, if you were happy with BA in the past, why change a winning horse?

Barrhead, Scotland...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I think there wouldn't be very much trouble at CDG and on Air France because I speak quite good French, and I agree with what you say about BA, they are a very good airline (and my grandad may be a tiny bit biased because he worked with them for nearly 40 years) but the last two times we flew with them our bags went missing and weren't returned for a week or so.

I'm particularly intrigued by Lufthansa because they fly an A380 out to Beijing and the enthusiast in me gets a bit excited at that prospect (silly I know)

I was only really worried about Air France because a lot of reviews I had read said that the seats on the 777-300 especially are incredibly tight in the legroom stakes and I don't know if an hour is enough to change planes at CDG

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

BA has a very good frequent flyer program especially if you fly short haul a lot.

Flights with less then 650miles distance cost only 4500 avios and its extremely high value. Go for BA!

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

An hour to change in CDG is doable but it doesn't leave slack for any delays with your GLA flight. A fairly small delay could see you bumped to the next flight, which I guess is the next day. Or you might consider flying out of EDI. With AF you could use the savings to upgrade to Economy Comfort for the KLM flight, maybe that makes up for the extra snug 777 :-)

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

bongoblog makes sense. A380 may be interesting though, although i have only travelled in business on that plane, so cant comment on economy othe rthan it seemed to have a lot of people on board!

Barrhead, Scotland...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

Also just noticed that the Skyteam airlines go into Terminal 2 at PEK and not Terminal 3. How much difference would this make?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,547 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

Lufthansa has problems again with strikes: usatoday.com/story/…

Norddeutschland
Level Contributor
289 posts
790 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA, Air France/KLM, or Lufthansa?

And Air France and BA do never have problems with strikes? Agree buying a ticket for the next two weeks that might be an argument but with some time in the future I´d guess the likelihood is not that different.

I´d go for LH because even though Frankfurt is not the best place to change planes (Munich is) I´d prefer it over Heathrow and CDG. Language shouldn´t be a problem I am yet to see any sign in FRA which is not also in English