We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

Chillan, Chile
4 posts
Save Topic
i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

hello

i'm from south america and i have a fly to london in june, my idea it's going to thailand from there...i wanna buy a ticket so desperately and i need a really cheap fly...my problem is when i found a really good price all the pages are scam or with very negative comments...

please someone help me, and please with more info than "buy directly with the aeroline"

i can't trust in skyscanner or momondo anymore, it's allways the same...redirects to a bravofly, opodo, airfast, etc.

thankiu

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,904 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

You may not like someone telling you to buy direct with the airline but that is about the safest advice someone can give.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,771 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

My advice would be simple enough. Use Skyscanner or similar to check which airlines fly the route you want, then go directly to those airlines and check prices there.

If there is no flight sufficiently cheap for your needs, then there is nothing much you can do. There is no magic wand that will produce a flight cheap enough for you. If you go to a dodgy third party the chances are that the advertised prices don't exist and in some cases, you may well lose all of your money and receive nothing at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

You could try Expedia,,,but I'm sorry, direct is best and you won't find anything much cheaper than the airlines themselves, sorry, anything that shows you a big saving is not real.

4. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, March 20, 2014
Edited: 5:35 pm, March 20, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

>>>when i found a really good price all the pages are scam or with very negative comments...<<<

Now just think for one moment why "all the pages are scam or with negative comments". If they were good, you won't see those comments would you? And everyone would be recommending them.

Buying direct is cheap - but you won't know it, because nothing will go wrong.

Lol hawkeye.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,006 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

<disclaimer- You may not get on the plane with a ticket from the above site. Hell, you may not even get a ticket. But, it will be cheap!! Well, maybe?>

You must work for them ;) ;)

7. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 pm, March 20, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

London is probably the most expensive place to fly to. Is it necessary?

If it is, you can try to find connections to anywhere in Europe (Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt) and continue from there with a lowcost carrier (Easyjet, Norwegian etc). If you are willing to travel a bit more, you might get cheaper tickets that way.

From Europe there is plenty of competition to Thailand.

If you are flying from a very small place, it is sometimes cheaper to fly to a big airport with a local carrier and buy rest of the journey from there. For example I needed to fly Helsinki - Maputo, tickets would have been over €1100 but either Helsinki - (London-) Johannesburg or Stockholm- (Addis Ababa-) Maputo were around €700-800. One leg of the journey bought separately (HEL-STO or JHB-MPT) was less than €100, so clearly cheaper not to book HEL-MPT.

Use Momondo or similar to find which companies are cheaper but always book from the airline directly!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

If you are flying from Chile, it might be a good option to speak to a local travel agent rather than rely on the internet.

Local agents will often have access to deal fares that will be cheaper than those advertised by the airlines. Most internet based travel agents are focused on the Europe/America/Australia markets so will not always have the best fares originating from South America.

When you read the reports here, you must remember that they represent a tiny fraction of customers. The huge majority who have a smooth booking process and journey do not report back. We only hear from those which have gone wrong, so this can create a misleading impression that all internet agents are bad. This is not the case. Some are better than others. The majority are perfectly alright.

If you have looked at the recognised agents such as Expedia, Ebookers, Lastminute or Travelocity and they offer you a good fare, then you should have confidence to accept it.

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: i don't know what company is legit and what it's a scam!

PinkAardvark and mrsmm77, good posts.

Edited: 5:54 pm, March 20, 2014