We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare yyz - jnb/cpt

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Airfare yyz - jnb/cpt

Hello,

For those that have traveled to South Africa from Toronto I would like to get a sense of airfare rates. My dates are October 21-November 4 2014 with some flexibility. Currently I see rates at $1,640. Would this be considered "average" or fairly high?

Many thanks!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare yyz - jnb/cpt

probably average to low. I fly YYZ-Cape Town and have paid around $1800-2000+ during that period. Lowest I've seen was for Feb 2014 at $1300. Which carriers and what route are you looking at?

Edited: 2:57 pm, March 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare yyz - jnb/cpt

Thank you PV Traveller for your input!

I am looking at KLM. Leaving October 21 at 5:35pm with a 3hr 40 min stop in Amsterdam arriving 9:15pm in Joburg.

Departing Cape Town November 4 at midnight with a 2.5hr stop in Amsterdam arriving 3:30pm in T.O.

Have you flown with KLM before?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
229 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare yyz - jnb/cpt

Yes but it was over Xmas holidays, so had weather delays, missed connections and delayed luggage there and back, all four flights. The connection in AMS is tight, especially if flying to CPT and doesn't allow for long delays in YYZ. Having said all that, they handled things excellently and rescheduled us thru Heathrow via SAA to CPT, gave food vouchers etc. They had staff waiting at the gate when we arrived in AMS with new booking info. I personally am hesitant to fly them again because of the short connection time, especially in winter, but have family members who've had no problems on this route with KLM. I also don't like the late take-off time from CPT. Their economy service is like all other carriers, so that doesn't make a difference in my mind. If there are no delays it's a time saving way to fly to SA through Europe.

4. Re: Airfare yyz - jnb/cpt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, March 22, 2015