We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights to California 2015

london
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Flights to California 2015

Hi All,

We are looking to travel to California next school summer holidays (end July 2015) either:

LHR - SFO return or

LHR - SFO Las Vegas - LHR

The SFO flights are around £960 with Vegas just over £1100.

If I book these as soon as the flights are released at the end of August, what sort of price am I likely to pay or would I be better off waiting for a sale?

Ideally we would like to fly direct with no stopovers.

Many thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,363 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights to California 2015

"If I book these as soon as the flights are released at the end of August, what sort of price am I likely to pay or would I be better off waiting for a sale?" - In my experience prices when flights are first released can be when they are the most expensive. Your desire to buy is greater than the airlines need to sell.

"Ideally we would like to fly direct with no stopovers." - A non stop flight is always preferable but they almost always more expensive than indirect flights.

If it was me I'd research which airlines operated the routes I wanted and pick 3 that I would be happy to fly (say 2 direct and 1 indirect). I would then monitor prices for several weeks from September 2014 when flights for July 2015 should be available to get a feel for the normal prices and buy when I say a price I was happy to pay.

July is obviously peak holiday season so I wouldn't hold out hope for any great sale bargains.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,958 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights to California 2015

Also, don't expect the flight schedules and plane types to necessarily be the same as those shown when you book. The airlines really don't know for sure what is going to happen 11 months ahead in terms of deliveries of new planes, passenger demand and so on.

london
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights to California 2015

Thanks I will start looking at BA/Lufthansa/KLM/Air France from September. I am hoping I can get something nearer the £700-£750 mark.

Cheers

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights to California 2015

You want to fly next July? That would be a good price to fly from the UK to the US if you found them. I haven't seen great bargains for Europe to US or the reverse for summer travel, with the exception of mistake fares, for quite a while.

This year has been especially high. Prices from the US west coast to Europe during the summer have been well over $1200 USD at the least expensive, and I just paid $1600 for a round trip in July/Aug. Ouch.

Edited: 11:26 am, March 20, 2014
london
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights to California 2015

Yes LHR to SFO for next July or early August. Thnx

london
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights to California 2015

Hi I have continued my search and found Delta and American Airlines are reasonably competitive compared to BA and others. I have never flown with either, are they ok for a 12 hour plus flight to California from UK.

I am also seeing that a return from London to SF is cheaper than London-SF and then Las Vegas to London. if it is likely to be £100+ then I will need to change my proposed itinerary for California i.e. I would do the 'loop'.

Thanks

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights to California 2015

Santa, the US carriers are fine on this route. No real differences in economy. Go by best timings and price.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights to California 2015

There is a Top Question____"Buy now or later" on right of this page that might help your thinking on this.

london
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights to California 2015

Thanks guys

london
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights to California 2015

Hi we have now agreed that we will fly into San Diego and out of Las Vegas

Our date are 25 July LHR to San Diego and 15 Aug Las Vegas to LHR

The best price direct is £1151 with BA so should I book now or wait for prices to come down. I don't mind a short stopover if it will make the flights cheaper. There are 4 of us travelling.

Any thoughts?