We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
868 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

Is there any way to look back to find out what flights cost in the past? We're looking now, but really don't have much of an idea of what we should pay. Looking for a ball park price so that we can make a somewhat educated purchase.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

"Is there any way to look back to find out what flights cost in the past? " - Your problem is that there is no single past flight cost - a flight from A to B and return on X and Y dates would have various prices from the point the flight was first released for sale up to departure day.

In any case past details are not an accurate guide to future prices - your best option is to monitor prices for several weeks to get a feel for the norm and buy when you see a price you are happy to pay. You have lots of time to monitor before Feb 2015.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

TomC97 is right. Past prices are meaningless. You can look at what it would cost today. Just be advised that it looks as if you want to travel when a lot of schools in the US have a midwinter break to a popular travel destination. I don't imagine you will find the lowest prices then.

Most airlines only have their schedules open through about Feb 18th or so. I'd wait a few weeks and start looking.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

guess i was pretty much looking for a ballpark figure just to get an idea. thanks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

Looking at this routing for Feb 8-15th 2015, right now the cheapest fare I see right now is $488 RT on US.

I did note my children's mid-winter break runs from Feb 14-22, as do many US schools, so prices may jump up that week. You'll just have to watch and see when the schedules open up.

Amherstburg, Canada
Level Contributor
868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

thank you. we're flexible on the dates, so that should make it easier.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,790 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

Since you've got time, monitor fares on the route you want for a while so you know what they normally are. Then wait for a sale or price drop and if and when you see one, buy right away without waiting.

There's another advantage in waiting a while. Airlines change flight schedules. If you buy almost a year in advance, there's a good chance the time of the flights you buy will change. Or possibly one could be cancelled completely

7. Re: Dtw-Cun r.t. Feb./15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 20, 2015