We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Hopefully this is the right forum - I couldn't find a better one! We are flying to the US for a 6 week trip. Normally we use the travel insurance offered with our CC - it offers unlimited medical - which is is the only benefit that matters really.

However for this trip, because of the price of medical in the US - they refused to cover my partner's pre-existing medical conditions - though they otherwise did not decline cover - everything else is fine.

We shopped around and found another big company in NZ who will insure his pre-existing - and at a reasonable price. So his insurance is sorted.

The question is - should I stick with the "free" travel insurance with the CC - or pay to be insured by the same company as he is. The benefits are pretty similar and the CC will cover me entirely because I don't have pre-existing conditions.

AS we are road tripping the nightmare would be is that if we were involved in a car accident - would we end up with 2 insurance companies fighting not to pay and making the other one liable? Anyone got any experience?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,335 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Thats a very good question. And one I have no clue.

I could envisage finger pointing in some cases where there are separate policies, where there are shared costs (splitting payouts for hotel payouts comes to mind).

Just thinking, is it possible to just purchase the medical coverage for your partner for their particular pre-existing condition, and then use your CC coverage for the rest?

Or, put another way, will your CC cover both of you for everything except this pre-existing, and could you claim jointly off your CC for anything else?

And of course how much is it for you to be added to your partner's policy? A couple of hundred bucks when you're on a trip costing thousands may not be too much of a pain.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

I've spent most of my working life in insurance, and have not found any company involved in a process of not wanting to pay. Indeed most have a wish to pay all claims. However, their very ordinary communication and business practices suggest they do otherwise. When a claim isn't paid, its usually a stuff up rather than some grand conspiracy.

Anyway, to answer your question, if the underwriters of your two different companies are NZ or Oz domiciled, then you should have no problem. Most underwriters outsource the repatriation function to often the same company, so the issue of having two companies involved is moot.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Thanks guys - no #1 in NZ it's not possible to buy anything except comprehensive insurance - which is a pain because we have to pay for cover which is frankly either unnecessary (luggage) or highly unlikely to be used and unnecessary (e.g. hijack). Otherwise - yes I'd do exactly what you've suggested.

The extra cost for me is about US$200 - and you are right - it's not big in the scheme of what we are already paying.

Thank you #2 - Yes both are NZ/Australian companies one is underwritten by AIG and the other by Allianz. Yes it hadn't realised that there is only probably one company offering repatriation anyway.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

AIG and Allianz are licensed in Oz and NZ, and are subsiduaries of some of the largest insurers in the world. Both have extensive experience in Travel Insurance.

You should have no issues.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Thamks Graham you just saved me some money :-) It was an interesting experience actually- the same company had covered my partner's pre-existing coronary condition - 3 years ago when the incident was only 6 months earlier. Now they won't cover him even though the condition is stable and has been for the 3 years- I asked them point blank why - the answer - because of the cost of medical care in the US!

They were quite happy to cover him previously to both Europe and Myanmar.

uk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

I'm interested in why you think luggage coverage is unneccessary?

If your luggage is lost or delayed, the compensation you Will recieve from the Airline will usually fall far short of the value of your claim - as many, many, many posts on here will confirm.

In years of frequent flying, luggage cover is the only aspect of my insurance policy I've ever claimed on.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Lissie,

Sometimes those decisions regarding accepting pre existing condition are only made on the fly, and have no basis on any corporate direction. If you asked again, they may accept.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

I don't have a 'correct' answer to this, but I can make a comment in that we had a similar situation for years. My DH was employed by a series of US companies, so his job involved regular and frequent travel between home in the UK and the US (plus elsewhere). We would take advantage of his travel plans when we could to add a vacation/holiday to a business trip, so effectively we only needed to pay for one return long haul flight (always with the employer's permission and agreement) for me, plus local costs so saved ourselves a packet. He would do the work element with insurance cover for travel purposes provided by his employer. Then, his personal travel element of the trip would be covered by the 'free' insurance provided by a credit card DH held and used for work. I, meanwhile, travelled with travel insurance provided by our bank.

We checked with all 3 different insurers involved to ask where we stood in the event of something arising which we could claim for, if it happed while we were part work travel and part private travel, or when it was both private travel but with separate travel insurances. All (insurance) parties seemed fine with the arrangement.

(Sorry to be long winded, but I needed a bit of background context,)

Good luck,

SWT

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

#6 LOL - well for 1/2 the trip (going to the US) - we are travelling carry-on only - so nope the luggage won't get lost. Coming back - yeah it might get delayed - but who cares we're going home anyway. Totally lost? Very, very rare, but there would be little to nothing of real value in the luggage, the nice new laptop I'm buying over there won't leave my side!

#7 - they said their deicsion was final for this this trip - but that's fine I expect a free insurance to be more conservative on their coverage than others.

#8 - seems like a fair comparison - thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,716 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Insurance - couple insured with different companies?

Lissie , I realise that the T&C in NZ may be different but when I checked the travel insurance provided by our bank I discovered that they had a time limit on coverage of 30 days. I had to pay an additional premium for our 6 week trip to NZ.