We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Long Island,NY
6 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Just an alert to all good people planning to book with Virgin America.

They randomly moved my flight time from 2:35 in the afternoon to leaving at 10:00pm arriving to NY JFK the next day. They just decided to consolidate the flight because they didn't sell enough seats at MY expense with out even calling me. They sent me a cheesy e mail leaving me 4 weeks to find another flight. Just a warning folks.

They WERE a good airline. I don't know what happened.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Unfortunately pretty much every airline changed schedules and cancels flights like that.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

While inconvenient, this is hardly a nightmare. ALL airlines change their schedules. If you find one that doesn't please come back and post.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Where on the scale of "nightmare" do you think your experience stack up against that of those on MH370 and their families?

You had a schedule change. All airlines do those. Write to VX and express your disappointment and you may get a gesture of goodwill such as a voucher towards a future flight. But I'd suggest you do so politely and cut out the amateur dramatics.

Edited: 10:51 pm, March 12, 2014
Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Well said, USBT.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Mike,

Did VX tell you that they consolidated flights, or is that just an impression?

On other airlines, I have had flights canceled with but moments notice, have had equipment issues, and the flight was rescheduled for the next day. That is an unfortunate aspect of airline travel, with about anyone, except for a personal jet. Planes break, with no replacements on hand. Crews pull a no-show. Weather grounds entire fleets out of some airports, impacting the entire system. I have encounter all of those, plus the catering truck breaking down behind our second aircraft, as the first one broke just at takeoff.

What I have not encountered, at least in the last decade, is a flight that does not go out, because not enough seats were sold. Nearly every flight (88 in 2013 and 103 in 2012) have been almost, or completely full. Maybe it's just the flights that I take, but those encompass most of the US, the UK, OZ and Europe?

This is not to diminish the problem that you faced, as having any flight canceled is not pleasant. Just curious if Virgin America told you that they canceled, due to lack of tickets?

Hunt

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,079 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

They gave you four weeks notice, that's plenty of time to call them up, tell them politely but firmly that the later flight is not acceptable to you and ask them what other alternatives they can provide you with.

Note: ask, not demand. Work with the person who is trying to help you, don't shout and accuse.

Edited: 4:21 am, March 13, 2014
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

>>They just decided to consolidate the flight because they didn't sell enough seats at MY expense with out even calling me.<<

seriously, you cant think that their management team would have called you to discuss whether they should change their schedules? Really?

anyway, as others have said, this happens with all airlines. You had four weeks, You had a refund. Dont stress the small stuff.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

>>They randomly moved my flight time from 2:35 in the afternoon to leaving at 10:00pm<<

And here I thought you were going to complain about having to sit in the airport for all those hours! Four weeks notice! How lucky you were ;-)

Nightmare? Hardly.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

I once flew out of CLE to LGA with less than 10 pax. It was the first flight of the morning out of CLE and it went back and forth all day long between airports. It happens.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Americia nightmare! They change their flights,beware.

Hi

I once had two rows of seats to myself on a Delta, Gatwick to Atlanta flights. Two by the window where I sat when I wanted to read or eat and a whole middle row where I slept stretched out.

I've been on flights that are full or half empty and four weeks before left them lots of time to sell the seats which were unoccupied.

I wonder if the OP made an assumption that the plane was half empty because they had been looking at which seats appeared to be empty on the seating plan. Not all passengers book their seats when they reserve, I flew BA transatlantic in April and right until the day of the flights premium economy seemed empty but on boarding I found it was chocca.

Jackie