We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Manchester, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Nine friends and I are flying to Ibiza in July with Thomas Cook.

This is my first ever holiday and I sent off for a passport in February. It got rejected because they wanted my full birth certificate, and then my mother's birth certificate, so we're sending off for it again this week.

Problem is, the full fee for the holiday needs to be paid on the 6th April. The holiday rep at Thomas Cook says he will not accept me on holiday if I don't have my passport by then, and it seems really likely that my passport will not come in two/three weeks.

Do other holiday services do this? Can I actually be kicked off a holiday for not having a passport three months before the holiday?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Sounds bizarre to me. As long as you are happy taking the risk why would they care? And in any case you could have a passport now and lose it the day before you go, so its completely illogical.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Not if u book do it yourself , u will defo have your new passport long before July. Book DIY next time,

Manchester, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Holiday is definitely booked. The full payment date is 6th April.

That's what's got me so confused: everyone has to pay £410 each, so if they kick one person off, everyone's going to have to pay to make up for me or I'm going to have to pay £410 so my friends don't have to pay for me.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,783 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

"Do other holiday services do this? Can I actually be kicked off a holiday for not having a passport three months before the holiday?"

I have no idea where Thomas Cook are coming from, you don't need a passport to book a holiday or even to pay for one in my experience and it's the passengers responsibility to have proper documentation at the point of travel.

The Thomas Cook website does not say you need a passport 3 months before travel - click on Visa and Passport Information on the attached FAQ page.

The only thing I can think of is it might be something to do with Advance Passenger Information (API) - click on the relevant link to see what it specifies.

flythomascook.com/…search_header_help

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

It has nothing to do with Thomas Cook whether you have a passport or not, until you actually fly! Tell her she doesn't know what she's talking about lol and then ask to speak to the store manager.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Are you ona special, put together just for you, holiday of some kind? Because otherwise I don't understand why everyone else would need to pay more if one person drops out?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

It's because the individual price is based on the number of people on the booking. If one drops out the holiday will be recosted, and it could mean there are under occupancy charges.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

Package tours huh, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

It's ages to The beginning of April, my passport took less than two weeks to arrive and I made a mistake with my credit card information.

Chill out and if it comes back again then she'll out on a passport check service at the post office.

Jackie

Manchester, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

It's just a bit stressful because I don't want to ruin everyone else's holiday, especially if our agent has decided to kick people off!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No passport yet? (Thomas Cook)

She can't kick people off! It's not her call, and has absolutely nothing to do with her when you get your passport. The only people it concerns is the airline, and they're not bothered when you get your passport, as long as you have one by the time you fly.