We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit through o'hare chicago

Nakuru, Kenya
9 posts
Save Topic
Transit through o'hare chicago

I am transiting through o'hare on qatar airways. I will arrive on terminal 5 and have to make it to terminal 3 for a flight to columbus. Given that this will happen in an afternoon, should i be worried because i only have 1hr 45 minutes to change planes and what will happen to luggage, do i have to pick it or will it be checked by qatar airways?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,629 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

"Overall, 1:45 is not enough for foreign visitors. It's even tight for US citizens."

Just a quick FYI (not that it helps the OP if he's a foreign national) that the immigration process for US citizens at ORD has been streamlined and is now very quick. And not just Global Entry. You now scan your passport at a kiosk, get a photo taken, answer the questions on the customs form, and a slip is printed. You then go to a CBP officer who looks at the slip and stamps it. From entering the immigration hall to being at the carousel took 2 minutes.

Hopefully this allows more CBP officers to man the foreign national lines and speed up their processing. But I still wouldn't allow less than three hours.

OP, if you can't change your flights I wouldn't worry too much. You'll be rebooked onto the next flight with available seats at no charge. I would make sure you have good travel insurance, in case you had to pay for a hotel if they can't get you out that same day.

Edited: 1:13 am, March 10, 2014
Chicago
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

I had friends who got through the kiosk really fast, and then another friend who said that the line for the kiosk and to get the slip and hand it to the officer was just as long as before the kiosks were installed and took forever.. So how quick US citizens get through still depends very much on how many other planes have landed and how many agents are on duty, it seems.

I always wish people would ask this question before booking instead of after, when it's too late. This is a really tight connection but doable if there are no glitches and not a lot of other arriving passengers.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

When I came from Rome on Alitalia to T5, was done with immigration & Customs in 15 mins, but security lines at T3 will be long, 1 hr 45 mins is very tight, if u miss your flight they will put you on next flight. Just make sure that they put your bags on next flight too.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

To be clear, they put you on the next flight with available seats, which may or may not be the next flight. They will not bump someone to make room.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,102 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

I've been waiting for a report anywhere on how the new kiosks are actually working but have seen nothing. Just anecdotal stories like the ones here where some individuals say it helped and others say it did not.

Nakuru, Kenya
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

How does the immigration and customs process work in o'hare and do the new kiosks help?

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

The posts in the current thread explain how the process works. Line up for immigration/passport control, pick up bags, walk through customs, either leave or recheck bags before leaving. No hard figures on the new kiosks, just people's personal experiences. Only for US (maybe Canadian too, not sure) citizens.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,102 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

As Warriorjan said, I've never seen any hard figures as to whether it's helping. The CBP website does have a place to see what the typical wait is at different days of the week and times of the day. But it does not show history so you can't compare to how it was a year ago before they started the kiosk program.

Certain people, not sure the exact qualifications, can skip the immigration line and use the kiosk to do the immigration checks. That theoretically frees up the CBP agents so the lines will be shorter for those that can't use the kiosks.

Nakuru, Kenya
9 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

Thanks all, really hoping to make it given the time

20. Re: Transit through o'hare chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2015