We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Topic
2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

Hi everyone,

I booked a ticket from Brussels to Hong Kong from Air France,

I will first take the train from Brussels to Paris, and then connect to my flight from Paris to Hong Kong.

The train arrives at 21:11 and the plane leaves at 23:25. But now that I searched it some more online, it seems like this might not be enough time at CDG.

Has anyone made this connection or knows if this is enough to check in my luggage, go through passport control, security etc?

And what happens if I miss my flight?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

I don't understand. You booked a t ticket from Brussels to Hong Kong,,,but the first leg is on the train? I've not heard of that before. Are you sure you don't just have a flight from Paris to Hong Kong and a train ticket cobbled on the end by an agent? Who did you book with?

What station are you getting the train to in Paris,,,and are you going via Thalys or euro star?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

If your air ticket is BRU-CDG-HKG and you try to join flight at CDG then you will be denied boarding as you did not commence your flight at BRU it is called hidden city ticketing and your ticket will be automatically cancelled as you will be deemed a no show at BRU

Edited: 3:22 pm, March 07, 2014
Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

the air ticket is BRU-CDG-HKK, but the part BRU-CDG is carried out by Thalys. The ticket is valid, I booked from the air france website. KLM has similar arrangements for "flights" between BRU and AMS.

edit: the air ticket is actually ZYR-CDG-HKK,

where ZYR is a train station in Brussels.

Edited: 3:24 pm, March 07, 2014
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

Air France codeshare on certain train services. Code for Brussels Midi is ZYR. Quite common where you have major cities where it is not economical to fly between, or where the train service is adequate enough to do the work. They are fairly common. Even in the USA you have ZFV which is Philadelphia, and United will sell you a ticket LHR-ZFV via EWR.

Maybe one day when UK plc gets its bum into gear, we will have a truly integrated rail/air system in the UK? Don't see it happening unfortunately, even though we have perfectly good rail stations at LHR, BHX, MAN and others.

As to the actual question though, I have no idea about connecting via the train at CDG! Might get more expert advice in the France/Paris forum. In practice, European airlines don't generally accept passengers on an earlier flight if they arrive early. Maybe this practice might not apply to the train service? Sure someone more knowledgeable about the specifics could answer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

If the train is to CDg then you have enough time. Trains here ( I live in Brussels) are very punctual. However personally I would have preferred three hours for long haul. But it's subjective.

Trains are fairly frequent between Brussels and Paris, but to be honest, whenever I do it, I go to the centre, I have never trained it to the airport. So don't know if it's feasible to get an earlier train.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

Using the train to get from Brussels to Amsterdam or Paris is common practice. The Thalys does not go to CDG, you will be on a direct TGV train, no?

There is an earlier TGV but that would get you to the airport three hours earlier. It should not take you much more that 15 to 20 minutes to get to your terminal from the station so unless the train is really late you should not have a problem

Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

thanks for the fast answers.

There is an earlier TGV indeed, however I need to take one I first mentioned. Otherwise my ticket will be cancelled as it will be considered a no-show. I have to take the train assigned to my ticket.

The train is to CDG indeed. 15 to 20 minutes seems highly unlikely though. I don't just have to go to the terminal, I also have to check in my luggage, go through security and all other stuff that is usually associated with boarding a plane. The only thing that isn't necessary is check-in. (since that will happen before taking the train)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

I didn't say 20 minutes to drop off bags and get through security etc, I said to the terminal. that would leave you nearly 2 hours to check luggage etc.

Can you actually check in at Brussels Midi station? I would have thought not and you should do on line check in anyway. If you are so worried about this then you chould contact AF to get them to book the earlier train for you.

Sint-Niklaas...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

Boarding deadline is apparently 40 minutes before departure, is little over 1 hour still enough for security and luggage?

Im more unsure than worried though, what happens when i do miss the flight?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,404 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2h14 min transfer time from train to airplane enough?

If it's been ticketed as ZYR-CDG-HKK by AF, that means the connection is protected yes?