We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Good morning all,

Have been exploring routes into Yellowstone/Grand Teton and came across a United

service via Dulles and Denver. While the connection time at Dulles is fine for us., the

connection time at Denver is around 1 hr 15 mins - just looking for guidance and first

hand experience if this is practical. I suppose that already having gone through US

immigration and Customs in Dulles should make the transit a little more bearable.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and usual good advice.

Best wishes

Steve

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,935 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

If your flight from Dulles (IAD) to Denver (DEN) is on time you'll have no problems. You can probably absorb a 45 minute delay and just make the onward flight. The vast majority of United flights are on the same concourse (B) and you'd have at most 10 minutes (walking briskly and using the travelators) to make it to the next gate.

https:/…den.aspx

If you did miss the connection you'd be rebooked on the next flight with available seats.

If the misconnect was within United's control (e.g. mechanical) they will also provide duty of care, including hotel accommodation if an overnight is required, but if it's out of their control (e.g. bad weather) then no duty of care is provided and you'd be on your own. That's different from Europe, so make sure you have travel insurance that covers you for that eventuality.

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Dear USBusiness Traveller,

Many kind thanks for your fast and comprehensive response to my post, all well noted and appreciated

plus the link to DEN floor plan. I am quite tempted by the United service ( as Delta's alternative

involves an overnight stay in SLC ) but still have a niggling concern about the connection time. Not to

worry as we have plenty of time before we have to commit ourselves to one or the other. Well noted about

having extra travel insurance in the event of a missed connection through circumstances beyond the airlines control - will make sure we have plenty of comprehensive cover.

Many thanks again

All the best

Steve

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

DEN is one of the easiest airports to transfer at domestically. It's not very busy and very well laid out. A 1hr 15min connection is no sweat assuming an on time arrival.

London, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Is Jackson Hole rather than Cody an alternative option for you to consider ?

There are lots of one stop options through Chicago, Dallas or Denver, rather than the three stop option into Cody. I've only done it a couple of times, as I enjoy the drive upto Grand Teton from Salt Lake City, but it's probably the simplest way into Teton / Yellowstone from the UK.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

I would also fly to Jackson Hole rather than Cody. Unless there is something you want to see in Cody, Jackson Hole is closer.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,050 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

We actually like the town of Cody,Wyoming but if Jackson Hole is closer that may be an easier route for you.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

I like the town of Cody - great museum, Buffalo Bill Center of the West (new name), the historic Irma Hotel, rodeos, and the Cody Cattle Company for dinner and old west music - http://www.thecodycattlecompany.com/

http://www.yellowstonecountry.org/

Back to DIA. It's a fair walk from the gate you arrive at on the United concourse to the regional gate you will leave from. If your flight is on time and you don't need to do more than use the rest room and grab a drink of water then you will be fine. If your flight is delayed or people are slow deplaning then you might need to rush. United is getting stricter about carry-on luggage so be sure to check out their policy. newsday.com/travel/united-airlines-cracking-…

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,548 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Steve,

We fly through DEN (DIA - Denver International Airport), and have had some tight connections. Have had only one problem over the years, and that was due to the baggage handlers having a short strike. Not UA's fault.

While nearly all operations are in Terminal B, most of the "commuter" flights not go into/out of the new annex (B80 - B93), which is a little walk - but easily doable in even less time, than you have. As you will be flying Domestic (US) after IAD, you will likely come in about half-way to that new commuter annex, so things should be easy, especially as you will have cleared Immigration and US Customs at IAD.

Now, UA's international schedules have changed, and some routes (after the merger with CO especially), but we often took the DEN - LHR - DEN flights (now, mostly SFO - LHR - SFO). Do not recall if UA still has that LHR connection, but if so, it's a very nice flight, or was.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Edited: 12:24 pm, March 05, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,548 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Update.

Just tried a dummy UA LHR - DEN itinerary, and it appears that the direct flights are a thing of the past - connections are via ORD, EWR or IAD, but perhaps the dates that I plugged in did not fit with a limited direct. Thiink that you can disregard my statement about LHR - DEN - LHR. A thing of the past?

Sorry,

Hunt

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United service; London - Dulles - Denver - Cody

Dear OP2002,

Many thanks for your fast reply - all info well noted and appreciated.

DEN looks to be a user friendly airport.

Best regards

Steve