We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any help? Connected flight baggage

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Any help? Connected flight baggage

Hi everyone. My flight was from Paris to Vancouver. I bought it on Air France's website. The first flight (Paris-Toronto) was operated by Air France, the second one (Toronto-Vancouver) was operated by Air Canada. In Paris, Air France told me my baggage would be delivered to Vancouver airport. But after I arrived at Vancouver airport, Air Canada told me I should get by baggage to pass the customs (I already submitted the declaration form in Toronto) and then checked-in my baggage again. So Air Canada don't know where is my baggage. In this situation, what should I do now?

Thanks.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

Not to take the side of Air France but is it possible what they said was 'your bags will be tagged all the way to Vancouver' which was true? Or did you specifically ask if you needed to collect your bags in Toronto? I also wonder if when you went through immigration and customs in Toronto -- did none of those officers ask you about your luggage, if you had any, etc.?

I think this could possibly be an incident of misunderstanding.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

Julius,

You need to file the missing baggage report with Air Canada. They are the airline who flew your last leg to YVR and it is established protocol that all reports are filed with the carrier of the last flight, regardless of whose "fault" it may be for the bag going astray.

Do indeed explain the miscommunication involving Air France, as that will greatly assist AC. In all likelihood your bag is at YYZ and it should be located and returned quickly.

If you have filed the report but haven't explained what happened, then call AC and explain. Hopefully they'll be able to add the information to speed up the tracing.

Good luck.

Edited: 11:50 pm, March 04, 2014
UK
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

"Most people know that when they enter a country and pass through customs they do so carrying all their luggage"

That's not how it works in EU countries - where bags are always collected at the final destination. So someone who is familiar with the EU system, and who hasn't done an international-to-domestic transfer elsewhere in the world, can't necessarily be expected to know how things work elsewhere..

"But my baggage tag said that the destination is YVR not YYZ"

That's the North American system. Your bag gets TAGGED for your final destination, but you have to pick it up and carry it through Customs and then drop it off again. I don't know how this works in Canada, I know that in the USA there is a special drop-off point in the customs hall where you just put your bagaggage back on a carousel.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,386 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

< "Most people know that when they enter a country and pass through customs they do so carrying all their luggage" >

Customs, unlike immigration, does not happen at the point of entry in many countries.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,506 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

"I don't know how this works in Canada, I know that in the USA there is a special drop-off point in the customs hall where you just put your bagaggage back on a carousel."

Aviatrix, it's exactly the same in Canada (for INTL-DOM) as the US. I would have expected the airline (AF) to have explained this both (a) at check in, and (b) on the "arrivals" video on the plane close to landing, though many will of course ignore that.

For INTL-ITNL at Canadian airports (not the OP's situation, but just fyi) it depends on the airport and its setup, and in some cases the timing of the flights. Sometimes you can do INTL-NTL as if it were in Europe or most (not all) Asian airports, sometimes not. And if not, you have to follow the same as the US (clear immigration, collect bags, clear Customs and hand them over immediately after customs, then security).

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
65,411 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

Julius, what you needed to do at Pearson airport is in the following link. Enter the correct info in the 4 fields and the 8 steps you needed to follow will be shown to you.

www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

Here's information on how to contact AC. There seems to be a number of ways:

aircanada.com/en/…delayed.html

Air France was right. They said your luggage would go to Vancouver, meaning you would not have to check it at the AC counter at Toronto. They just didn't tell you that you had physically move your luggage yourself through Canada Customs in Toronto and drop your bags right away on the Air Canada luggage conveyor belt.

17. Re: Any help? Connected flight baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 07, 2015