We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easyjet pricing to UK

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Easyjet pricing to UK

Can someone with Budget airline knowledge help me please ?

I'm trying to book out and back flights to Kefalinia or Crete from LGW at the lowest possible price. Followed all the rules - travel midweek, outside the school hols (late sept/early oct). The flights out are £40-£50. The flights back are an eye-watering £150-£170..

I realise that these are two single flights, the laws of supply and demand apply and that easyjet can do what they want. But the huge price differential midweek and out of peak season seems odd to me.

Any thoughts ? Is this just Easyjet ?

Thanks

Mike

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,226 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

< Any thoughts ? Is this just Easyjet ? >

No, No

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

Have you tried booking outbound with Easyjet, and using another carrier for the return trip ?

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

It is what it is. Easyjet are no longer really 'budget'. Flights back from Greece tend to come in more expensive than outbound.

You don't mention your dates but Heraklion 24 Sept to 1 Oct at the moment is coming in at £39 out and £107 back. You may not get cheaper than that.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,280 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

Other low-cost carriers price routes this way as well. I can't give an explanation, it's always seemed a bit odd to me as well. In the end though, unless you can find another way to fly back, the only thing that really matters is the total price. £200 for a 4-hour flight to a popular holiday destination isn't too bad after all.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,534 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

Part of the pricing structure could well be that whilst you have flexibility over dates/destinations before you travel you don't have that same flexibility for the return.

The price from the UK is lower to encourage you to fly whilst the price back to the UK is higher simply because the airline knows you have to travel back so then can increase the price.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

Thanks all. I think Lex's explanation is the way to look at it, just curious.

Heraklion £40 on 29/9 and return LGW £163 on 5/10 looking like the way to go.

Mike

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,472 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

Taking Tom C's point it may be less for a return not on a rigid 7 or 14 day schedule e.g. 6, 10, 12 or 16 day holiday subject to days flights are available.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

Afraid not. The 3 week view shows a range of £36 to £48 out and £107 to £165 back. As I say, happy to work around the dates - but the fact is the return will always be at least double. So be it.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Mike

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

It's always the case if u get cheap seats out they will be much dearer coming back, also vis versa. Been like that for years, best bet is to use 2 Airlines,

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easyjet pricing to UK

best bet is to use 2 Airlines

======

Most if not all UK airlines will probably have the discrepancy the same way, I wonder if someone like Aegean might be better.