We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

We are flying Delta LaX-Phil which involves an arrival at 6:20am in Raleigh and departure at 7:00am.

For the 1st leg at the moment I have booked seats down the back of the plane (row 30) aisle and window with the hope that we are less likely to get anyone booking the seat between the 2 of us (its a 3-3 configuration). We will have spent the previous nigh flying across the Pacific so sleeping would be a nice option.

However as we are being met at Phil I'd quite like to make the second flight. Are we going to have to sprint for the connection or is Rayleigh small? We have no checked luggage, just carry on.

The 2nd flight is little commuter jet run by a Delta partner - if that makes a difference

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

"Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

No, you have chosen a 40 minute connection at RDU. If you're uncomfortable with that then perhaps you should have chosen a different route with a longer layover.

Now, if the inbound flight from LAX is on time, then you should make it without any problem. Both flights use Terminal 2C and it's just a short walk between gates. But any delay greater than 20 minutes and you're at severe risk of missing the connection, 30 minutes and you're toast.

If I had to make it to a destination by a specific time I wouldn't be choosing such a short layover.

Edited: 12:40 am, March 01, 2014
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Are you sure you're booked LAX-RDU-PHL on DL? I'm not certain of this but I don't think DL has an LAX-RDU flight at that time and it would be highly unusual to get that routing. Would make more sense if you were routed via MSP or CVG.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Delta certainly operates LAX-RDU. DL1566 departs LAX at 2215 (today) and arrives RDU 0520. It looks like the schedules may be changing but the flight is there.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,434 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Given that you will need to rush, booking seats at the back of the plane doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

Edited: 2:32 am, March 01, 2014
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Nope it was def delta I booked lax - Phl I didn't know where rdu was until I googled it yes that is the flight the time diff is because we are flying in late apr daylight savings

Edited: 2:46 am, March 01, 2014
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Delta is not a big airline at RDU so the gates should be close together.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,240 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

IF I had a short connection between flights I'd make sure my seats were as close to the front as I could get and not in the waaaay back of the plane!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

You did accept the routing, right? Yes, Delta gave 40 min. connection at RDU as one option. You accepted the option. The fact that you didn't know where RDU was, and didn't check in advance, isn't Delta's fault. I'm not sure why knowing where RDU is located is relevant, anyway. I assume Delta's schedule showed a connection, and the amount of time you would have between flights. I agree that many airlines have unreasonably short minimum connection times, and I take that into account when I choose flights.

Even if Delta has a LAX-RDU flight, I find it strange that they'd route you through RDU to get to PHL, as Delta's main hubs are Atlanta, Detroit, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and JFK. I looked at an arbitrary June date for LAX-PHL, and found no options going through RDU. You're sure you're on Delta all the way from LAX to PHL? If you do miss your connection at RDU, Delta would normally put you on the next flight with available seats to PHL (not necessarily the very next flight) at no charge.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,517 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

For me it's too tight a connection as any little delay leaving LAX will cause you to miss the second flt. Plenty of stories on this forum from people with too tight connections missing the second flight.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta has given us 40 minutes connection in Raleigh, NC

Seems a moot point to me. If the connection time at least meets the minimum connection, and it's not a matter of Delta having changed flights after OP booked (in which case OP could ask for a better connection), they are likely stuck unless they want to pay a sizable change fee. There seem to be a few flights to PHL, so while OP may have a delay they should get there.

OP, just relax and get in shape for a sprint. If your bags don't make it onto the new flight, they should be delivered to your hotel.

Edited: 10:29 am, March 01, 2014