We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jfk & Jet Blue

Seaside Rental...
Level Contributor
152 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Jfk & Jet Blue

I will never fly Jet Blue again through JFK...I love Jet Blue but we have never got through JFK without major problems....3 strikes.....first time 2007, no one at Customs spoke English at 11pm at night, 2 bags were lost....second time 2008, flight was cancelled due to thunderstorm and we were told we would have to spend night in terminal...no compensation...2014, we were hassled off plane on tarmac, it was freezing, crowded on bus and taken to immigration...immigration people were very unfriendly & custom people weren't checking anyone! We had to recheck bags but were not told to store liquids bought at duty free. They had to be chucked because we couldn't get through security...no one cared...driving to Philly from now on...sorry Jet Blue!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,521 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

if your problem is with JFK, then why are you associating JetBlue with this, in the title and your first sentence? That's totally misleading.

Furthermore, all of the issues you mention (surly immigration officers, not being informed about the liquids rule) could have happened at any gateway airport.

Edited: 10:06 pm, February 28, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

Why is it the fault of security at JFK that you didn't think about your duty free liquids? You say they "didn't care," what were they supposed to do? Say "oh, well, since you didn't think all the way through this plan, we'll let you slip by just this once"?

I seriously doubt that no one at JFK customs spoke English. That stretches the imagination.

The thunderstorm has nothing to do with JFK, unless you think thunderstorms only happen in New York? I assure you, they have them in Philly too. (And PHL is a TERRIBLE airport. Enjoy.)

Edited: 10:46 pm, February 28, 2014
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,355 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

Some of your issues need to be taken up with "The One" (whoever yours might be, if you choose to have one).

You'd be lucky to find a customs official who *doesn't* speak English at JFK.

I don't think Jetblue would miss you. It's your loss.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

These things happen on flights... its not a long drive so you can just drive.

If it is a problem with the Airport (JFK) then try the other New York airports.

Just be lucky that you have more than 1 airport in your area.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
29,442 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

I love JetBlue and will always fly them.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,268 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

Sammy--love your response -:)

to the OP

I too find it incredible that nobody spoke English---while they may have been bilingual--and talking to themselves in a different language they all also spoke English! In terms of no compensation for a thunderstorm--no legal requirement to do so! In terms of your last flight--immigration unfriendly--I do not know what you want--I know I land, I go through and that is that. I am not looking for friendly, just get me through--in terms of customs people not checking anyone--why is that a problem. They know what they are doing and check when need be.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,631 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

I have connected through the JetBlue JFK terminal a few timers, and find it to be one of the more pleasant experiences at JFK. I really prefer that terminal to any of the others i have been in (and I admit I haven't been in all of them), but if I had to fly through one of the New York City airports, and I had a choice, then JetBlue through JFK would easily be my favorite.

I don't think that JetBlue have any control over security procedures, immigration or customs officials - they get them assigned to the terminal.

Could you give more details on how you were "hassled" off a plane? It lands, and they try to get everyone off so that the bus can leave for the terminal without keeping other passengers waiting unduly.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

You could have been Tainted through T.S.A if you haven't try flying another airline and see what happens.

9. Re: Jfk & Jet Blue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 04, 2015