We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

Hi everyone, my brother booked a weekend trip away in the Philippines with a group of friends to take place in a few weeks. He lives and works in Hong Kong, but is a British citizen.

He booked flights from Hong Kong to Philippines to leave on Friday morning, and fly back on Sunday, giving him time to go diving (which is what the trip is for). He booked the flights with Trip Star in the UK, and the airline is Philippines Airlines.

This week, he was informed by Trip Star that Philippines Airlines had cancelled the Friday flight, and the earliest he would be able to fly out would be Saturday night, giving him and his friends no time to take the trip. When he asked for a refund, he was told they would refund the outbound flight, but not the inbound flight, since that is still running on Sunday.

Given its clearly impossible for him to take his trip due to their Friday flight cancellation, it seems amazing to me that they won't refund him for the Sunday flight, which he now obviously won't need.

I just wondered if anyone had any guidance on my brother's consumer rights in this scenario and whether anyone had had success in claiming a full refund for a similar scenario they may have faced?

Also, any insight on dealings with Trip Star or Phillippines Airlines would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

James

Thanks!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,062 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

When is the flight? If you have been given more than two weeks notice you either accept the scheduling change offered (or look for a better one yourself and ask Trip Star / Phillippines to put you on that) or take a full refund and rebook elsewhere. Not ideal as booking again you will find prices are probably a lot more expensive the closer to departure date.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

Oops, It looks like the agent was very naughty and sold two single trips instead of a return ticket. One of the very many reasons to book with the airline.

If this is the case, they will only refund the first flight.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,062 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

Good point Froggy, it does look like two single flights cobbled together if they refuse to refund both flights.

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

Thanks sunmagic, the flights is several weeks away, but no other carriers fly from Hong Kong to Philippines on the day they need it, so there is no chance of finding an alternative route there

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

In that case, do you my brother is within his rights to demand a refund from the agent?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

He needs to read the terms and conditions he agreed to at time of purchase,,,,if it's a dodgy agent, I somewhat suspect he can demand all he wants, they won't give him it.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,062 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

Who are Trip Star, I can't find an online presence for a UK based agent of that name? As Froggy says, what do the T&C's say when your brother booked?

UK
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

EU261/2004 doesn't apply as this is a non-EU airline flying between two non-EU airports. The citizenship of the passengers is of no relevance.

As regards the travel agent's refusal to refund the return flight... did your brother pay for the flight by credit card? If he did then he should do a chargeback via his card issuer, on the grounds of non-delivery of the service paid for. I don't think the agent would have a leg to stand on.

London
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

Thanks all, will look into the T&Cs and whether he paid by credit card

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: UK consumer rights for cancelled flights?

" no other carriers fly from Hong Kong to Philippines on the day they need it, so there is no chance of finding an alternative route there "

Umm....are you sure about that?

There are several airlines who fly HK-Manila (Philippine Airlines' only route from HK). They would have a choice of Cathay Pacific, Dragonair and Cebu Pacific. All are quite reliable, and Cebu Pacific probably the cheapest. There are also flights to Clark which is not a million miles away from Manila with Tiger Airways plus Dragonair and Cebu Pacific again.

I would be utterly astonished if a reasonably priced flight could not be found with any of those airlines.

Overall, there is something not quite right about the story. I've looked through all of March and April and can't find any Friday where Philippine Airlines does not operate its 08:05, 11:10 or 13:20 flight from HK.