We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compensation for breach of contract

Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Compensation for breach of contract

My wife and I returned from Canada with Air Transat in Club class on Flight TS292 on 2nd Feb 2014. The Air line had a catering dispute and the only food they could provide was a dry roll wrapped in clingfilm and served in a brown paper bag. They could not supply a breakfast either. Air Transat offered a good will gesture of CAD 50 which is about £30 as credit on a future flight. When dealing with their Glasgow office I was told that they would not pay any compensation as they were not part of the CAA and as a Canadian company were not liable under UK law. Are they correct in stating this or can I chase them for adequate compensation in the Small claims court.?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

I'm sorry, are you saying you are going to go to Small Claims Court to sue because of a meal? Is this a serious post?

Do we "deserve" compensation for all of life's mishaps? I don't think so.

Edited: 6:29 pm, February 27, 2014
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

How much compensation are you looking for? £30 seems to be a good result. I understand that it was most probably difficult not having food but the only other option was to cancel the flight until new catering was found. I think Air Transat make the right decision to get you back to the UK.

They got you safely from A to B, does catering really form part of your contract? I thought not.

I really don't think it is worth going to court because Air Transat have offered a goodwill gesture and you refused. However it's your call, good luck if you decide to go to court.

Aldershot, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

When travelling Club class you pay a very heavy premium for a three course meal, a gourmet breakfast and service. We received none of these. The main query is whether Air Transat as a Canadian company can ignore UK law.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

I think it's more of a policy issue than " just a meal"

Small claims would be the only option in Canada.

Thousands of travelers before you have given up for what appear as minor issues that save airlines $$$

Edited: 6:38 pm, February 27, 2014
edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

Seriously you would rather they cancelled the flight until they sorted out the catering problem?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

I am just confused. What UK law requires an airline to provide a meal? To my knowledge, if you are talking about EU 261/2004 I don't think this situation is covered.

Maybe you can find what you are looking for here:

europa.eu/youreurope/…index_en.htm

Edited: 7:15 pm, February 27, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,362 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

'Are they correct in stating this or can I chase them for adequate compensation in the Small claims court.?' EU 261/2004 does not address meals on board, so no assistance there. Since Air Transat made an offer which you seem to have spurned, what would you consider 'adequate compensation'? Were you told before boarding that there would be a very limited meal service? If so did you take responsibility and initiative to buy some provisions for the flight?

'When travelling Club class you pay a very heavy premium for a three course meal, a gourmet breakfast and service. We received none of these' Yes, those who pay for a different class of service do usually receive more enhanced meals. Nonetheless, the vast majority of airline food could not be considered 'gourmet' no matter how the in flight catering company describes it so. It will still be food that will have been prepared on the ground, chilled or frozen and reheated for service on board.

Since you claim you did 'not receive' 'gourmet ... service' what else would you have had the crew done?

…transat.com/airtransat/pdf/Tariff/EN/intern… I don't see a breach of contract, just an unfortunate situation that most travellers would have considered a pain in the neck at the time but then would have moved on after having been transported safely to their destination.

Edited: 7:46 pm, February 27, 2014
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

In what world is reheated, day old food "gourmet"?

And I have flown Business Class on some great airlines. It was still airline food

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

can I chase them for adequate compensation in the Small claims court.?

------------------------

You can claim if you like but how much? How can you put a value on the missed meal? It's true value is next to nothing.

Honestly, either accept or reject the voucher and move on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Compensation for breach of contract

You will lose, and waste money. Contract? They fulfilled that by flying you. I read airlines pay about £10 or so per club class meal, so you are getting more. The meal cost is not broken out, so no actual loss.

Edited: 8:14 pm, February 27, 2014