We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

Tadworth, United...
1 post
Save Topic
dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

we travelled from sydney to kuala lumpur on our way home we had a connecting flight booked it was 7hrs wait before take off we waited the 7hhrs we knew there was a 7hr stop over ,no problem then there was a delayof 4 to 5 hrs we rthen boarded the plane took opff ,we were in the air for about 2hrs then had to turn back to kuals lumpur as the tyres had seemingly burst upon take off we flew around for quite some time i suppose to get rid of fuel we then proceeded to land there were all the emergency services along the runway but we landed ok,we were put up in a hotel for the night after loads of arguments and flew out the next day this was on 31/03/2011 to 01/04/2011 we were delayed a whole day,i cant find the flight no can anyone help i have just found out that we should have been compensated by the airline ane that by law they should have offered but nothing ever happened thank you .ANDREW PALMER

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

Hmmm, well not quite Andrew Palmer. It depends. If it was extraordinary circumstances, which this might just well be, you are not entitled to comp.

To claim you need to be able to at least have the documentation available to say what flight and you were on it ie your documentation and then you can contact the airline and still make a claim. Prepare for them to state extra ordinary circumstance though and refuse the claim. It's then up to you if you wish to take it further ie court.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

You would only be legally entitled to compensation if the airline operating the plane from Kuala Lumpur to Heathrow was based in the EU. As far as I know the only airline on this route is Malaysian and as their name suggests they are based in Malaysia. Things would be different if the delay had occurred when travelling FROM Heathrow TO Kuala Lumpur.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,836 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

" i have just found out that we should have been compensated by the airline ane that by law they should have offered but nothing ever happened thank you" - If the flight was with an EU carrier like BA then they had a responsibility for duty of care during the delay and possible compensation under EU 261. If the flight was with a non EU carrier then as far as I'm aware they are not legally obliged to do anything.

The airline's get out for possible compensation is that it is not payable in extraordinary circumstances and I'm sure the airline, if it was an EU carrier, would argue that the burst tyres were extraordinary.

Which airline were you flying.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

Andy, I don't think that's right,,,but I am not great with the regs. I think it also covers any airline who operates in the eu,,,ie flies in and out, as such, he would have been covered if it is not extra ordinary circumstance, which I think it may well be.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,836 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

"I think it also covers any airline who operates in the eu,,,ie flies in and out" - The EU Regs apply to all flights operated by EU carriers, for non EU carriers it only applies for flights departing from an EU airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

Ah, ok, thanks,,,then he may well not have been covered irrelevant of circumstance.....

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

Don't see how you should be compensated any further for the delay arriving at LHR? assume this was an EU carrier and you are looking for compensation under EU 261/2004 firstly no proof that aircraft would've arrived late a final destination just because it originally took off 4-5hrs late and secondly a tyre blow out causing a return to airport would definitely constitute "extraordinary circumstances" and yes shedding fue/weightl before an emergency landing is SOP especially with damaged tyres-as for hotel etc think the airline fulfilled it's obligations, sorry judge rules no foul

Edited: 7:02 am, February 27, 2014
Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

Never mind OP. If I were on an aircraft that burst a tyre, circled to dump fuel and made an emergency landing I'd think just getting out of there safely would be compensation enough.

I seem to remember a fairly high profile crash where a burst tyre on take off was the catalyst.

England, United...
Level Contributor
8,792 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

After all this time, almost 3 years, and you don't know the flight number and you haven't bothered to pursue it with the airline but have just joined TA to ask for advice, and presumably evidence to claim compensation...

. I would strongly advise you to put it behind you, 3 years behind you actually, and move on.

Were you out of pocket? Probably not. Were you massively inconvenienced? Probably not in the grand scheme of things Have you enjoyed telling your friends about your experience and moaning about it for the last 3 years? Almost certainly...

Edited: 3:44 pm, February 27, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,817 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dlayed flight from kuala lumpur to heathrow

"secondly a tyre blow out causing a return to airport would definitely constitute "extraordinary circumstances" "

Why "definitely"? I'd say it's a grey area at best.