We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should my name appear on my flight ticket?

Oxford, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
How should my name appear on my flight ticket?

Hi,

I've booked a flight through the 'Flight Centre' store and I have a printed e-ticket. I've noticed that my name appears on the ticket as: '[surname], TERRIMS' - my first name is Terri and I'm guessing the 'ms' is for 'miss'. Is this ok? I know my name should be written as it is on my passport and I don't want this to cause any problems - I'm travelling from the UK to the States for three months on a J-1 Visa. I know this might be a silly question but because I have spent a lot of money on this trip, I don't want to get to the airport/US Embassy and be refused!

Thanks in advance and please forgive my naivity!

Terri :)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,905 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How should my name appear on my flight ticket?

You should be fine. That's exactly how my air tickets are printed (except with MR instead of MS). Sometimes the salutation (MS) goes before the first name, sometimes after, but it doesn't matter.

"Mr US Business Traveller", on my tickets shows as TRAVELLER/USBUSINESSMR

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,887 posts
1,307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How should my name appear on my flight ticket?

Terri,

I often see several variations of truncation, plus the combining of salutations, like Mr., Ms, etc.

So long as the first and last name are correct, there has never been an issue.

Now, in the US, and going back a couple of years, UA was adamant that each of our UA Profiles match our US Passports 100%. We did that. In my poor wife's case, her US Passport is [First Name] [Middle Name] [Maiden Name] [Married Last Name]. Then, if the airline adds a salutation, like Ms, or Mrs, things go "south" quickly. Still, we have not had any issues to/from Europe/UK/US.

If all else is correct, I think that you should be fine.

Travel safely,

Hunt

Oxford, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How should my name appear on my flight ticket?

Hiya,

Thank you for your posts and for putting my mind at ease :)

Best,

Terri

Edited: 6:11 pm, February 26, 2014
4. Re: How should my name appear on my flight ticket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, February 28, 2015