We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which European city would have best airfare to US

Sebring, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Which European city would have best airfare to US

I'm taking a ship to Europe. I plan on returning to US east coast in April or May. I'll probably be in Barcelona and find airfares from there are too high. Thinking that I could hop a train to some other city and find lower fares. Anybody care to contribute to that discussion.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,158 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

It's something I have done in Europe before, but not in connection with flights to the US. It does involve a lot of research, though, to ensure that the air plus rail costs are not more than the flight that seemed too expensive at first.

I don't know what alternative airports might be suitable, but presumably Madrid would be one of them. My efforts in this area have only been for short haul European flights, and mostly in Italy, but it may well be possible to secure some good savings, particularly if you do not mind not one and two stop flights.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Try Aerlingus.com / through Dublin

Youtube " U S Customs in dublin airport "

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Purchasing a one way ticket from Europe to the US is very expensive, unless you purchase on an airline that will sell a true one way ticket (such as Aer Lingus). Doesn't matter what city you leave from.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Looking at BCN-DUB-MCO for May 9 Aer Lingus price is euros554 which IMHO is a fair price for one way plus added bonus of pre-clearing at DUB

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Second the suggestion of Aer Lingus. Also check Icelandair. Those two carriers IMHO tend to have less expensive fares than others.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Also check out Norwegian Air BCN-ARN (Stockholm)-FLL for one way tickets

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

From an extremely broad search on Matrix (the major European cities/airports and the major US airports within 500 miles of JFK from 15/04/2014 - 15/05/2014):

Prices in USD

LIS->PDL->BOS: $401

FRA->JFK: $589

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,227 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Check with your cruise company. They may be able to get unpublished one way fares that are much more affordable.

Otherwise, also look at Norwegian (via Gatwick or Copenhagen) who price their tickets each way (though they're an LCC so they charge for checked luggage, which may not be conducive to a cruise passenger).

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

USBT wouldn't UK Air Duty cripple the price?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,227 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which European city would have best airfare to US

Nope, because the fares offered from LGW are inclusive of APD.

Furthermore, if they booked a through ticket BCN-LGW-USA there's no APD as transit passengers don't pay it.