We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit card to check in for flight

Naples, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Credit card to check in for flight

I am purchasing airline tickets for my son and his family using my credit card. I am not traveling with them. Will he be asked for a credit card when checking in?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

Thats an "it depends" question. You'll have to look at the Ts&Cs or phone and ask the airline and I'd phone anyway. Some do, some don't.

One way to side step this is to book using a travel agency

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

What Joe says. Some airlines do require this as part of their fraud protection, or they will require you to visit one their offices to verify your identification (and there may not be an airline office in your neighborhood). Using a travel agent (and please use a reputable full service agent) will address this as then it's the agent assuming the risk of a fraudulent transaction and not the airline.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

No one's ever asked me for credit card proof on any airline in the USA.

I've flown on Delta, Southwest, American, United, US Air etc.

This seems to happen more often in Asia.

It is always a good idea to check the details with the airline itself.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
872 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

We have seldom been asked to provide the credit card, but were recently asked to do so on UA, at PHX. Not sure why, as we fly out of there about twice per month. That was the only time in the last 10+ years.

In the UK/Europe, we have never been asked - until the first time that we are asked...

Hunt

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,547 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

I've never been asked in years and I've used my card to buy tickets for family members in other parts of the country, and they've never been asked. As you can see from the above posts, they could ask, but at least in the US I think it is unlikely.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

As you can see from the above posts, they could ask, but at least in the US I think it is unlikely.

======

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k54499…

Edited: 7:24 pm, February 24, 2014
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

I buy tickets on AA and United for my nephew to fly home from school several times a year and he has yet to be asked for my credit card. I also log into my FF account first and purchase while logged in. I once asked a United rep on the phone if he would need to show the card and she said no.

Naples, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

Thank you for your help. I finally reached someone at the airline. She said that no credit card was needed...only a confirmation number and identification. I hope so.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

Some airlines ask you at the payment stage whether you are buying the ticket for someone else, probably to avoid potential problems like this where people checking in are asked for a card they simply won't have with them (especially cards being used by a company travel department)..

In any case as more and more passengers check-in on line, print their own boarding passes, and head straight to the gate with hand baggage only, or even deposit baggage at a self-service baggage drop point, they don't meet anyone who could check their credit card until they reach the gate, by which time staff are really too busy to bother.

I think the rule exists just in case there's a query about one specific passenger's payment.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
493 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit card to check in for flight

Every Asian airline I have travelled with has asked to see my credit card. I was also asked to produce it when I flew out of Seoul with BA even though I didn't need to produce it on the outbound flight. I mention this just in case the flights are to Asia. You don't mention your destination in your post.