We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,618 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

Really, I was just curious about this. I have been looking at one way flights from Warsaw to Paris. I started on KLM, who offer nonstop flights operated by Air France and flights with a connection in AMS operated by KLM. On Air France, I can of course book those nonstop AF flights (not sure if they had the KLM ones). Out of curiosity, I tried Delta, and they don't offer one way flights at all on that route. If I try a round trip ticket, they only show me the KLM ones, not the nonstop Air France ones. Obviously, I can book on the Air France site if I decide to book, but I was just curious why Delta doesn't have either the one way flights or the nonstop flights. I always figured you would see the partner airlines flights as well, but maybe you need to search all the partner airline sites to see available flights.

Thanks for any info.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,204 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

You are correct that not all flights are shown on all partner airlines.

They may not all be shared.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

btgm,

Good question. To answer your subject question - "Do code share airlines not code share all flights?" .... the answer is NO. It's for the airlines concerned to agree on which flights are codeshared and under which conditions those codeshares are sold. Some code shares are restricted to only a few strategic routes.

In your specific case, it's the "under which conditions those codeshares are sold" that matters. Air France's WAW-CDG flights do carry the DL code. But, I fully expect that the DL code can only be sold in conjunction with a transatlantic flight operated by Delta, or marketed by Delta and operated by AF/KL as part of their immunized joint venture. That way, to give an example, a full TATL itinerary of ORD-CDG-WAW will show up as Delta in the search engines. For short haul intra Europe, only the AF and/or KL codes are available. The converse is true for US domestic flights. A huge number of DL domestic flights carry the AF and KL codes, but for purely domestic itineraries you can only book using DL.

As to why Delta isn't offering the AF non stops on its website, that's a matter for Delta. With United (joint venture and code share partner with Lufthansa) I cannot book straight WAW-FRA flights carrying the UA code, but united.com does show the flights under the LH and LO (LOT) codes, so I can buy them.

Edited: 3:59 pm, February 22, 2014
Illinois
Level Contributor
16,618 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

Interesting. I would probably have bought them on the Air France site anyway unless I could save money by buying them with a Delta transatlantic flight (haven't checked recently, but a few weeks ago it was way more expensive), since I prefer to buy with the operating carrier, but I would have expected them to be on the Delta flight. I was actually looking to see if they were cheaper on Delta and was surprised to see they didn't exist at all.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

If WAW-CDG is part one of your transatlantic flight home (WAW-CDG-USA) then it may be possible to book it on the DL code in conjunction with your TATL flight, either on delta.com or by phone with Delta. Whether they'd allow a multi-day stopover in Paris (if that's what you're thinking of) I don't know. That would be for the airline(s) to determine. Try the multi-city option on delta.com and see what comes up.

And if the Air France flights aren't available on delta.com (under the AF code) you could still probably call Delta and book them with them by phone. I don't see why Delta can't ticket AF flights on the AF code using its 006 ticket stock. United is doing that for intra Europe LH flights on its 016 stock.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,618 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

Wow. I didn't even think of booking by phone! That's so archaic...

I was trying as a multi city itinerary home-Krakow, Warsaw-Paris (actually I'm trying to get to the Dordogne, but that doesn't seem to be possible by plane all the way), and then Toulouse-home. I might have had Krakow to Paris when I tried it though as I'm still in the early stages of planning.

6. Re: Do code share airlines not code share all flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 25, 2015