We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Hi

Is it possible for a person to use a domestic ticket that has a different name to their own. I want to give my ticket to a relative but not sure if this is possible? Travelling Qantas.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Not unless you pay to change the name. Domestic flights require photo ID.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

No, the name on the ticket and the passport must be the same so you can't just give your ticket away! The same applies to details on the photo ID.

Edited: 4:33 am, February 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Shezza- on domestic flights in Australia you do not need to show your passport. They usually request ID and most people show their driver's licence so to the OP you are not likely to get away with this.

australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Domestic flight - no passport required

5. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:44 am, February 21, 2014
Edited: 4:44 am, February 21, 2014
Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Check in online, print a boarding pass, don't check any bags; normally nobody will want to see photo ID. Doesn't mean it is right though.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Don't know how many airports......but now Qantas wants you to print your baggage tags, then tag and weigh your bags yourselves when you fly domestic. No one has asked to see my ticket for ages.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

I have not been asked for ID on domestic flights for several years now. Though the airlines still have the requirement that you need to present some form of ID or even the credit card used, when checking in. They might just follow the rules when you check in though!!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

I never check bags on domestic flights. I can't remember the last time I spoke to an airline staff member other than a flight attendant once on board. If you have your boarding pass when you arrive then no one will ask for ID at any point.

Edited: 6:53 am, February 21, 2014
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Name change on tickets for Domestic Australian flights

Oops. I meant to add -- it could get complicated if the ticket says Mr X and you are quite clearly a female. The FAs do check boarding passes.