We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling within the Schengen Zone

Strasbourg, France
11 posts
Save Topic
Travelling within the Schengen Zone

My second flying-related question today - you would think I am a frequent traveler or something. Well actually I am as amateur as they come, hence the questions:

Now, I live in France on a long-term student visa. I am to take two Lufthansa flights within the next two months - one to Oslo from Zurich and one to Helsinki from Frankfurt. Online check-in only opens 23 hours in advance, but right now when I log on their site to view my reservation, they give the option to register my passport info and also my visa "if my destination requires a visa". Now, the question is, do I need to declare my visa while checking in? It's okay if they look at it at the checkin desk, obviously, but I am not comfortable posting that info online and then running into problems with the airline on the date. If I were coming outside the Schengen I would need a visa to enter, but at the current situation, if I legally have the right to enter the Zurich Airport through the front door, I legally have the right to fly to Norway too.

Does any non-EU nationals have experience with that regarding online check-in?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling within the Schengen Zone

I don't really understand your issue. The data is going in the computer whether you enter it yourself in advance or the check in staff do it for you. The system is secure.

Why do you assume you will run into problems with the airline if you enter the data? You have a visa, what's the issue?

Strasbourg, France
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling within the Schengen Zone

Well I have a visa from France. I know it is valid throughout the Schengen zone, and I am in the Schengen zone already, but I have heard too many horror stories of personal interpretation by airline staff.

3. Re: Travelling within the Schengen Zone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 20, 2015