We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelled flight

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
cancelled flight

I have been given 6 weeks notice of a flight cancellation from Leeds/ Bradford to Crete and offered an alternative flight leaving 3 days later. Can anyone advise on what rights I have to claim for cancellation costs for my train, hotel accomodationa and car hire bookings and also the loss of 3 days of my holiday?

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
38,905 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelled flight

Why don't you just take refund and book a more suitable alternative?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelled flight

None, you can simply take a refund and book a more suitable alternative.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelled flight

Can anyone advise on what rights I have to claim for cancellation costs for ....

-----

.. None at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
666 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelled flight

Why would it give you rights to claim for cancellation of all the peripheries, when all you have to do is book a different flight to use them ? I guess I don't really understand what you are after here.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelled flight

Just in case you think we are all being mean or having a laugh, genuinely you have no recourse with the airline.

Your options are to either accept a full refund, or go with a suitable alternate,,,maybe there is a flight earlier you could ask them to put you on?

If not you can look at your insurance policy to see if you have any recourse there, but I doubt it,, as one would assume you can make alternate arrangements to get to Crete in time for your vacation. The issue, I suspect, is it may be slightly more expensive than you had planned.

Sadly, that's just the way it is. Also if you go for the refund option, check how long it takes, if you are relying on the money.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelled flight

Thanks for clearing this up - I wasn't sure if I had any, hence the question in the first place and thanks to froggyEngland, much appreciated response

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,912 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelled flight

airlines don't really care what other plans you have made and won't compensate you when they decide to cancel within the terms that you agreed to.

It does annoy me when they do this and I really think things should be tightened up about these sort of cancellations because it does make reorganising your plans difficult.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,162 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelled flight

You arguably have the right to be re-routed at a time convenient to you, even if it's with another carrier. Unfortunately many airlines refuse to do this and I'm guessing there aren't many re-routing options for you anyway.

9. Re: cancelled flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 20, 2015