We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

Sevenoaks, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

everyone understands the need for checks

Everytime I visit USA I have at least one TSA approved lock cut off ...........why

On a recent flight back to UK from Boston

1st bag - ski bag was searched TSA approved lock cut off, they even posted the damaged lock inside the case with leaflet, bag secured with plastic tie.

2nd case lock opened and re locked leaflet left in bag.

3rd case two TSA locks cut off no leaflet left and bag left insecure so much for security, not only could have my property been stolen but even worse things added.

I have asked for explanation from TSA got standard reply obviously not interested in customer service or recognizing poor working practices by its staff...............how can you have three bags treated differently.

They do have a claims department, perhaps if every member of the public claimed for their TSA locks things will change, not only will it create a mountain of paperwork and huge expense, this is often the only way managers listen and correct this conduct, if they don't have enough keys get more, this is simple laziness by staff.

I will be claiming for my locks

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

TSA locks should be easy for the TSA to navigate, but they do not seem to be. I often have mine cut off (like you), or just hung back on, but not closed. It almost seems like the TSA is angered by having to use their keys for the locks?

I would not use them, if the TSA would just close all zippers, when they rummage around, but that is asking far more than they are able to provide.

Hunt

Arkansas
Level Contributor
199 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

I've not ever had a problem with a TSA lock while flying in the states. However over seas, that is another story. They either don't care, or may not even have the keys to open the locks. So if the bag is doing a pre-flight inspection and you are flying to the states, the lock could be cut off.

For international trips, I use the locks out bound. When returning, I have it wrapped in plastic, then when I clear U.S. customs I put the locks back on before re-checking them.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,461 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

<<<They either don't care, or may not even have the keys to open the locks. >>

Of course they don't have the keys!!! They are only used in the USA!!

And having taken >100 international flights to all continents in the past 10 years I always lock my luggage and had never ever had it opened by anyone unless I was actually present.

I don't use TSA locks in the US I just use cable ties. Elsewhere I use a brass padlock.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,818 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

"I've not ever had a problem with a TSA lock while flying in the states. However over seas, that is another story. "

That's because the TSA is a US government agency. Other countries have their own security and could care less if it's a TSA lock and may not even know what TSA is.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

I've not ever had a problem with a TSA lock while flying in the states. However over seas, that is another story.

-----------

Haha, I believe the appropriate response to this statement is "#fail"

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

Lots of threads on this. I don't lock, never had a problem. Am in and out of the states every few weeks. I'm honestly not that sure why folks insist on doing it. It's very obvious it does not stop your bag being opened or stolen.

If you are worried your bag will open,,,get a better bag.

7. Re: TSA locks are worthless or staff just not doing their job

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 19, 2015