We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

London, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

Just wondering if there are very many delays or cancellations at ORD because of snow .. they are forecasting 4 to 6 inches of snow throughout the day Monday and I connect a flight there .. I am flying United YXU to ORD to SAT .... I have never been to this airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

I'm sorry, are you asking if there is delays now or asking if there will be delays tomorrow?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

asking if 3 to 6 inches of snow could cause delays or is this amount of snow no issue .. going through Chicago Monday

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

It really varies. Is it very wet freezing snow? It is blowing bad and making it impossible for the runway to be cleared to allow safe flight. There is no easy answer. THere is also a difference if it is 3 inches or 6 inches. What is on the ground already? Are the runways reminiscent of ice skating rinks? Unfortunately, you won't really know until Monday!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

Ok .. thanks .. kinda thought that would be the answer .. Atleast Ohare probably has more snow equipment than our whole city of London LOL

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

It really depends. No one can prejudge, but yes normally between three and six inches of snow on a relatively short period would result in some delays as a minimum.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,926 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

Hi

You can have delay even if it is clear and sunny at ORD depends where your flight is going or comming from also. thee is so much more involved than just an amount of snow on the ground check internet and airport and airline web sites for up to date info

London, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

Will do .. thanks for all your advise and info

NH
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

You might consider watching how the storm progresses on www.weather.com. Snow and freezing rains has a domino effect on air travel. At the moment it is hard to say what will happen.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

Sorry but if we get the snow they're predicting here for tomorrow, the airport will be a mess. When there's a big snowstorm predicted usually the airlines start cancelling hundreds of flights ahead of time to avoid long tarmac delays. There's already a weather advisory for tomorrow mentioning O'Hare and Midway and that flights will be "severely impacted." You should be ready for some problems. Check your airline's website regularly to see if they're cancelling flights or waiving change fees for passengers that want to reschedule.

NH
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much snow will delay flights in Chicago Ohare

(What did I hear the other day? 75,000 flights cancelled in the US since December 1? What a winter it has been!)