We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

medications

Kyogle
Level Contributor
218 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
medications

I am flying from Australia to the UK next week, with a 2 night stop in Singapore and a 2 hour stop in Abu Dhabi.

I will be taking some asthma medication - a ventolin as well as a preventer and probably some prednisolone tablets as well. The inhaler will be with me, but the rest will be in the hold luggage.

Will I need to take any documentation from the doctor with this stuff? We will be travelling from the UK to Europe (Spain, France, Italy) as well.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: medications

'Will I need to take any documentationfrom the doctor with this stuf?' No. Since your Ventolin (the canister of medication, not the plastic delivery device) will very likely be labelled like this: medicalsolution.com.au/… it's unlikely anyone is going to think there is anything other than salbutamol inside.

Prenisolone is not on the UAE's hit list: http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp Unless you plan to travel with a substantial supply of your pulmonary meds, please place all of them in your hand baggage rather than your checked bag. Should your checked bag go astray, which of course you hope won't happen (but unexpected things do) and you find yourself prednisolone-free, it could be unfortunate.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,362 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: medications

Good advise about carrying your meds with you in your carry on. There are a couple of things we do with prescription meds -- one is make sure they are labeled on the package by the pharmacy and we also carry the page provided by the pharmacy with info on the medicine. No one has asked my parents or us about it but I just just it is good practice when we travel. It can also help a local doctor or a pharmacy in case of an emergency. the two drugs you mention are pretty standard but there are others that have other names in different countries and having the original name or generic name also helps

Liverpool
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: medications

Hi Melmanthegiraffe,

I have carried the exact medication you have mentioned for my hubby in my hand luggage for several years, and never had a problem. I also carry a copy of his repeat prescription which has the meds listed on, just in case!

Margaurite

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,397 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: medications

Please do not put your medication into your hold luggage!!

There is never a guarantee that the luggage will be safe so if you need the meds keep them with you in the plane!!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
17,133 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: medications

Post 2 really answers your question. It's not just the UAE but the same information for all countries. Keep your medication in its original packaging, pack in hand luggage and take a copy of any prescription with you.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
449 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: medications

all meds in hand luggage please .What would u do if your luggage went adrift for a few days or longer ? inconvenient to have to get new meds abroad

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,437 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: medications

I carry ventolin and prednisolone in my carry on - would never put any meds in the hold.

Taking the tear off slip with the list of meds is good practice - I've used it to get repeat meds abroad when I ran out.

Sweden
Level Contributor
189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: medications

I agree with the previous posts. I always have my prednisolone in my carry on. If my hold luggage went missing my vacation or business trip would be spoiled. I know it´s probably not necessary but I have secured documentation from my doctor as well.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
16,420 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: medications

As the others have said, do not put your medication in the hold luggage.

10. Re: medications

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:36 pm, September 23, 2014